17-223 reloading?

Nitelite

First post here but have been a long time lurker, I am starting to work on some loads for a bhw 22" 1-9 twist 17-223 and nagal 30s and was needing a starting load for 8208xbr and h4895. This will be for coyote and fox mainly. I am open to all powder recommendations and appreciate your input.

I am in the same process, but using 25 grain bullets and CFE223. So far the best info I have got is from searching forums, and also using the Hodgdon website info for the 17 Remington as kind of a 'cross reference'. Hope this helps you out.

Originally Posted By: obaroI am in the same process, but using 25 grain bullets and CFE223. So far the best info I have got is from searching forums, and also using the Hodgdon website info for the 17 Remington as kind of a 'cross reference'. Hope this helps you out.

If you are using Hodgdons website, why are you using 17 Remington data. They have data for the 17-223

Ramshot big game for the 30s. Don't have the data in front of me.

17-223 data is scarce. Hodgdon has like 3 loads. I've been able to use 17 rem starting loads and work up from there. Use caution and do your research.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NiteliteFirst post here but have been a long time lurker, I am starting to work on some loads for a bhw 22" 1-9 twist 17-223 and nagal 30s and was needing a starting load for 8208xbr and h4895. This will be for coyote and fox mainly. I am open to all powder recommendations and appreciate your input.

If you give me your case capacity I will run it in Quickload. Or as stated above 17 Rem data should work fine.

Is this a factory rifle? Not sure what a bhw is.

Originally Posted By: obaroI am in the same process, but using 25 grain bullets and CFE223. So far the best info I have got is from searching forums, and also using the Hodgdon website info for the 17 Remington as kind of a 'cross reference'. Hope this helps you out.

With 25's you would be better off with Varget. CFE and 30's will be a better match.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: obaroI am in the same process, but using 25 grain bullets and CFE223. So far the best info I have got is from searching forums, and also using the Hodgdon website info for the 17 Remington as kind of a 'cross reference'. Hope this helps you out.

If you are using Hodgdons website, why are you using 17 Remington data. They have data for the 17-223

17 Rem and 17-223 are very close in case capacity but their pmax specs are way different. 17 Rem has a pmax of 61,641 psi and 17-223 has a pmax of only 53,664 psi. It may have something to do with all of the different makers of 223 brass or with the measuring method. QL for 17 Rem uses Piezo CIP and for 17-223 uses what is called a Wildcat method.

If I was loading a 17-223 I would use Lapua, Norma, LC or Nosler brass and use 17 Rem load data with a CHRONOGRAPH. Velocity = Pressure. There is no free lunch. Pressure signs on brass show up after you are way over pressured. I use a Oehler 43 PBL which measures pressure and I have seen this time and time again with no exceptions. On the top end, with smaller case capacities pressures can spike with minimal powder increase. This is why I like to try and get load densities around 100% even if velocities are a little low.

Last edited:
Good info coyotezapper, thanks for the input. Like you said 17-223 info is hard to come by; kinda why I was using the Hodgdon data on the 17 Rem to find something of a baseline with different powders and bullets than were listed for the 17-223.

Thanks for all the replies, I have reloaded for 25 years but this is my first venture into wildcats and wanted to make sure I didn't start to high of a starting load. Again thanks for your time and info.

H414 works well with 17 heavies. Cleaning the bore at the first sign of accuracy decline is important with small bores. I have had some barrels that only made it 20-25 shots.

I've tried the slower burning powders with 32gr bullets in my .17 remington they didnt work as well as CFE223. Yeah it's a slower powder but not what most reach for. I tried for months and then grabbed it and it was shooting small groups from day 1.

I just shot the first test group with mine this evening right after sundown. Shot 3 rounds to get zeroed, then shot a group. All things considered, I am optimistic that I can get it shooting pretty well with CFE and the 25 Hornady hp's. Next time around I'll get the chrony,bench and bags set up and really try to wring it out.

Originally Posted By: obaroI just shot the first test group with mine this evening right after sundown. Shot 3 rounds to get zeroed, then shot a group. All things considered, I am optimistic that I can get it shooting pretty well with CFE and the 25 Hornady hp's. Next time around I'll get the chrony,bench and bags set up and really try to wring it out.

You better stock up on the 25 hp's quick. Hornady is showing them discontinued.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: obaroI just shot the first test group with mine this evening right after sundown. Shot 3 rounds to get zeroed, then shot a group. All things considered, I am optimistic that I can get it shooting pretty well with CFE and the 25 Hornady hp's. Next time around I'll get the chrony,bench and bags set up and really try to wring it out.

They did that months ago. They are almost impossible to find now.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: obaroI just shot the first test group with mine this evening right after sundown. Shot 3 rounds to get zeroed, then shot a group. All things considered, I am optimistic that I can get it shooting pretty well with CFE and the 25 Hornady hp's. Next time around I'll get the chrony,bench and bags set up and really try to wring it out.

They did that months ago. They are almost impossible to find now.

I was in small town shop last weekend and they had some on the shelf. Told them I'd take all they had. Ended up with 1200. Think these small shops are the best bet now.

Back