Need Help With Optic Choice

elalto

Hi All,

I am an older coyote hunter, when I started, back in 1968, I had the eyes of an eagle and when I went from an old Weaver V5 to a Leupold 3X9X40 I felt that I could see into next week with that super scope. I mostly hunted at night back then and the Leupold gathered enough light that I hardly noticed the difference between night and day.

Now, 52 years later, my eyes are tired and not so good and I find myself looking for an appropriate scope for my night hunting. I am going to reduce my "arsenal" to two "varmint" rifles, my tack driver Remington 722 in 6X47R and my even better shooting Rem 600 Mohawk in 204R. The 722 is fine with a 3X15 Veracity FFP BUT the little 600 needs a compact scope with up to 12 or 14 power that will gather as much light as possible.

So PLEASE help me find that little light gathering scope for my little 600 204R.

Thanks, Marcos (elalto)

Optics are a very personal thing, one person will find a scope bright and clear the next not so much.

larger objective lenses will transmit(not gather) more light and a given power but better quality glass and coatings will do more than just a larger lens. You only gain about 1x-2x more power with optimal light transmission going from a 40mm to 50mm if the coatings and glass are equal.

I find 1.5-6x40mm scopes quite, my nephew loves his 2.5-10x50mm.

Nigh hunting is very popular in Euro so European scopes tend to be better in the night hunting category. I'd try and find some shops that carry these style scopes and try some of them.

A call to Doug at Cameraland wouldn't hurt either

I'm not a night hunter so my input may not help. I have a 1.5x6 Leupold on my 45/70 Marlin and surprisingly I can see bullet holes at 100yds. Not sure how it will be a night but its sure clear in the daylight.

Cabelas/Basspro have some of the Cabelas house brand, Instinct, on closeout.

These scopes are made by Meopta, and are very nice scopes. Saving money on them is even better.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Cabelas/Basspro have some of the Cabelas house brand, Instinct, on closeout.

These scopes are made by Meopta, and are very nice scopes. Saving money on them is even better.

Nice scopes, but they will carry no warranty. Meopta won't claim them and Bass Pro has killed the Cabela's brand warranty. Quite sad, really.

call doug at cameraland. ask about leica deals. glass is nearly as good as my premier which is top 3 or 4 glass ever made and they are light.

You can not go wrong with a Meopta optic. I have been so thoroughly impressed by all of their glass that I agreed to do some part-time work with them. I have been putting the Optika 6 1-6x24 through its paces and now have over 400 rounds under it. 1 heck of an optic which I informed Meopta that I will send them a check before I send this scope back. Perfect for short/med range hunting/shooting situations and priced right. I just started using the Optika 10x42 bino's and I can assure you the low light visibility is just what you would expect from European made glass but with a sub $400 price tag. Drop me a note with any questions.

I know Doug at Camera Land Inc. is giving away 4 Optika optic's at the end of the month, you just have to go register.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/DSC_0330_1.jpeg

Originally Posted By: Barton HegeYou can not go wrong with a Meopta optic. I have been so thoroughly impressed by all of their glass that I agreed to do some part-time work with them. I have been putting the Optika 6 1-6x24 through its paces and now have over 400 rounds under it. 1 heck of an optic which I informed Meopta that I will send them a check before I send this scope back. Perfect for short/med range hunting/shooting situations and priced right. I just started using the Optika 10x42 bino's and I can assure you the low light visibility is just what you would expect from European made glass but with a sub $400 price tag. Drop me a note with any questions.

I know Doug at Camera Land Inc. is giving away 4 Optika optic's at the end of the month, you just have to go register.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/DSC_0330_1.jpeg

Never thought I would see you recommend anything other than Nikon.....Just having fun since I haven’t seen a post from you in a while.

Call Doug at Camera. Great guy to talk with.

TX., No worries, I get it. After almost 10 years and helping 1000's if not 10,000+ people Nikon decided to do away with my position. They also cut out the NRA show and SHOT Show. Their choice. I was kind of looking forward to some downtime since in those 10 years I only had 1 vacation without my computer. I never thought I would have companies asking me if I was interested in working for them. Nice option to have. So I tested some glass and let me tell you, Meopta was hands down better than everyone, in my opinion. Definitely not comparing apples to apples from my old employer that is for sure. Meopta's Euro Shott glass is excellent. It was a no brainer for me. Now they have the Optika 6 scopes coming out which I have used extensively and a buddy who is a biggie with Predator Tactics has as well. A lot of great features you guys will love, I promise and you won't wish you spent more, in fact, I will say you will be surprised with all you are getting for the $. Give Doug a ring, enter the contest, check out Meopta site. https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/rada/optika6-13153-2/

Originally Posted By: Barton HegeTX., No worries, I get it. After almost 10 years and helping 1000's if not 10,000+ people Nikon decided to do away with my position. They also cut out the NRA show and SHOT Show. Their choice. I was kind of looking forward to some downtime since in those 10 years I only had 1 vacation without my computer. I never thought I would have companies asking me if I was interested in working for them. Nice option to have. So I tested some glass and let me tell you, Meopta was hands down better than everyone, in my opinion. Definitely not comparing apples to apples from my old employer that is for sure. Meopta's Euro Shott glass is excellent. It was a no brainer for me. Now they have the Optika 6 scopes coming out which I have used extensively and a buddy who is a biggie with Predator Tactics has as well. A lot of great features you guys will love, I promise and you won't wish you spent more, in fact, I will say you will be surprised with all you are getting for the $. Give Doug a ring, enter the contest, check out Meopta site. https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/rada/optika6-13153-2/

Nikon lost a good man that help mend a lot of relationships between them and customers.
I appreciate everything you did for me. With over 50% failures and issues with my Nikon scopes, and the back and fourth with customer service, I sold all my Nikon scopes, and their scopes are not even a consideration any longer. Matter of fact, the only Nikon product I own is the binos you had them send me for reporting the turret issues with the P22 scope.

With the Optika 6 being a new product; there is not any real information about the accuracy, repeatability, feel and audible of the turrets for dialing. Good glass for the money or not, only time will tell how the LR community feels about this line of scopes .

It is good that Meopta is open to reticle changes, etc and talking to the actual users for improvements which is one of the reasons why they have been around for 85 years.

Back