Non Resident Nevada Hunt Questions

Indyote

Hoping to pick your brains on information about a hunt in Nevada.

I glanced at the Nevada regulations, but wasn't finding some of the information I was hoping for. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

We are some what open with the dates. Anywhere from late October to February.

We aren't from Nevada, so would like to get your input on any details we'd need to know when coming into your state to hunt.

What kind of license would we need to get?

Are we limited to coyote only? It seems like in the past that was one of the restrictions for non residents. Is that still the case?

What are the rules/laws on night hunting?

Again, any information you can provide would help out greatly (general area of the state to hunt....or stay away from, time of season to hunt, any new laws, equipment, etc). Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you intend to hunt. Coyotes and Jacks require no license. Any small game will need one. One day license is $23 with added days for $8. Night hunting is on a county by county basis.
Nye lets you hunt at night, Lander does not. I always stay away from population centers.
Call the county attorney for night hunting regs.-Sheriff does not always know. Experience talking.

I believe bobcats are not open to non-residents.
Fox have seasons and a non-resident furbearer license is required.

Indyote, where are you from in Indiana? I'm up here a half hour southwest of Fort Wayne.

If you're planning a trip west maybe tie it in with this year's Predator Masters Convention. That would be a great time.

Well, it looks like we've narrowed it down to hunting Nevada in late November/early December for coyotes.

I would love any other insight as we start to make our plans. As of right now, we are open to go anywhere in the state. If you have any general recommendations, we'd love to hear it.

I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes, just wanting to get an idea on general parts of the state that would be better than others. For example, this area would be better to go because flights are easier to get in to X location vs Y location.

Also, good areas for lodging. whether it be hotels or Airbnb's.

And of course, hunting tips.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or reply to the group. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks guys!

Fly into saltlake city and drive over and hunt the north eastern side of the state. Wendover to elko and noth and south of there.

Bobcat and Gray fox are off limits to non residents period even if you buy both their hunting and trapping license. Coyote can be taken for personal use as long as you have a hunting license from your state. Don't get caught with several case skinned coyotes they will assume you intend to sell fur.

Originally Posted By: crapshootFly into saltlake city and drive over and hunt the north eastern side of the state. Wendover to elko and noth and south of there.

This is good advice. I hunt this area every year and rarely see other hunters.

What Lungbuster and crapshoot said. I lived north of SLC during 2012-2013 when deployed to HIll AFB. Used to go over to Wendover and Elko area a lot. Spent a lot of time and burned a lot of ammo out north of I-80 in the silver mountains west of the salt flats. The areas south of I-80 are good too. Lots of gravel mountain/desert roads that just go all over the place. Jeep type trais but most are easy driven even with 2WD as long as its not muddy. Many many square miles of desolation and good chance you'll be out there all day and never see any other human beings. Take appropriate survival gear/food/water and be careful if the desert roads are slippery. They can gum up your tires quickly if its been raining out there and you dont want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to walk 40 miles back to civilization. Cells phones dont work when you get far off the beaten path.

My nephew and I were at the convention last week and we saw plenty of coyotes. We called in around 14 in 7 mornings of hunting. Not great but we had fun.

What Burnsome said about survival gear is good advice, especially if you're not used to hunting out west in some of the more vast areas.

Back