Question for the shot gunners

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGun fits. My good friend is the skeet chairman at our club. He also shoots registered skeet. He checked me out on fitment of my Beretta and says it fits me pretty good. He also teachs a youth program and is coaching me along the way. I'm a slow learner but he's patient.
Well then you are further ahead than most. Pick up some low recoiling shells and practice and it will get easier overtime.

Powder bushings as you probably know seldom throw the weight that the chart says they do for several reasons.
I have been throwing the powder with a seperate thrower and it seems like I can tell that there is an improvement.
Slower powders give more of a push rather than a sharp recoil.
Usually the best patterns are not with the fastest loads.
Of course clay bird loads need not be as harsh as live game loads.
Reducing the shot load will ease recoil more than the powder charge.

Yes thats close enough. 700x weighs pretty good.
I have noticed that the mec charts don't all say the same thing which is odd. Must be something to do with how old the chart is.
Have you noticed how addicting trap and skeet is?
Lots of fun.Just wish shot was not so high.

I really enjoy it myself even if Im not real good at it. Members shoot for $3.00 at my club so its not terribly expensive but then you have to add the cost of shells. Our club is now part of OSSA, Okla Sate Skeet Assc. We sponsored a registered shoot last week-end. I joined OSSA so I could shoot. LOL, should have saved my money. Them boys and girls are some serious shooters. I did see a lot of different guns and styles of shooting. I think the cost of admission was well worth the lessons I got. Watching a 13 year old boy shoot a 93 or better out of 100 is pretty impressive. Another young man, about 16, won high over all in four gauges,(in his age group) at our club shoot. My friend who is the skeet chair has been helping me. He also coach's a youth team. One of his kids won the Jr. World Championship a couple weeks ago. Yes its fun and can get expensive but I try to limit myself to 4 rounds usually once a week.

for skeet in my 12ga I've been shooting 11/16 oz of 9's with a #27 Bushing, 700x and a Piston Skeet wad loaded in a 2 1/2" Cheddite hull. I was looking for a 5/8 oz bar and this one came on a 20ga MEC I bought. It works very well out of my BRNO skeet gun with Tula chokes, nice positive breaks on all stations.

Spare combo barrel set for coyote hunting

XG9jHC.jpg

I jump up 7/8 oz of 8's for trap and SC with #26 Bushing and 700x in my FEG sxs.

Last edited:
In the past I wore out a PW 800 but then I was buying shot by the ton.

Now I use MEC 600's, the 12 and 16 ga are set up with 2 1/2" kits as a lot of my shotguns are old Euro guns with short chambers.

I have a Mec Grabber, 600 Jr and a Sizemaster.

The Grabber I have been using for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays loads for over 25 years. It loads shells plenty fast enough for me and if I feel or hear something that isn't normal I stop and look things over to see what the problem is.

I’ve only loaded shotshells on a Lee load in 16ga. I feel it’s sufficient for the few boxes I load each fall with steel or bismuth for ducks.

Mec 650
If you do make the move to a multi stage loader you'll be pleasantly suprised with the speed you can crank them out. Remember to keep your eye on the shot and powder bottles however.
Hold on to your junior, hard to beat for making special loads.

Last edited:
The Mec shot and powder plastic bottles get brittle in their old age. When they are empty try squeezing them. If it shatters in your hand the bottle needs to be replaced. LOL

It is better to have one shatter when you test it while it is empty than to have one shatter when it is full of powder or shot.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobThe Mec shot and powder plastic bottles get brittle in their old age. When they are empty try squeezing them. If it shatters in your hand the bottle needs to be replaced. LOL

It is better to have one shatter when you test it while it is empty than to have one shatter when it is full of powder or shot.

Sounds like experience talking right there, I will test mine empty !

Back