Mid day, dumping rain coyote?

000shock

So, me and the fam went to Roosevelt nat park yesterday, at 3 pm in the pouring rain, in hopes of at least seeing the bison and wild horses with a few friends. If your familiar with the park, you know of the first prairie dog town on the loop. Copious pd’s most of the time. That day, one or two lookout heads poking up, but that was it. Ahead, a few cars were stopped, looking at the horses we were hoping for, about 4-500 yards out. Colts chasing and playing in the rain, being kids. Then i caught movement. Just a head turn. “Coyote.” My wife and kids were clueless. It was sitting about 100 yards out, right at a hole looking in, blending perfectly against the terrain below the skyline. Then it stood and trotted around a few other holes. “Why is that dog out there?” My wife; love her to death! The kids saw it about that time too. Before i could answer her, my oldest son was bursting out “Dad, we need your rifle!” If only! First yote ive seen in the park in 5 years of going. Pretty happy.

It really surprised me though, seeing one on a town during mid day and dumping rain. Anyone ever see this before? Ive heard they will hunt pd towns with a badger now and again, but never saw one. Sorry about the winded story, just thought it was pretty cool, and surprising!

Before we start shooting at any Pdog town the hit the fox pro.
Very often there is a coyote very close by and sometimes if we sneak in we catch them working over the Pdogs.
Never in the pouring rain, course you can't get to any of our Pdog towns in the pouring rain.

Yea, might have been a younger one. The rain kind of made it deceiving how big it was for sure, and didnt have a rangefinder or even binos along. Just guessing at the 100ish yards. Only thing that makes me think it was a bit older, is it didnt give a crap about 4 cars sitting there watching it. Definitely a regular in the park no less.
Originally Posted By: jetman Before we start shooting at any Pdog town the hit the fox pro.
Very often there is a coyote very close by and sometimes if we sneak in we catch them working over the Pdogs.
Never in the pouring rain, course you can't get to any of our Pdog towns in the pouring rain.
From now on when we go shoot pdogs, i think my prairie blaster or at least some hand calls are going along also and getting used before any shooting happens. I never really thought about that, but thanks for the idea!

Back