Thermal Use During Daylight Hours

Kirsch

I needed to take care of some family obligations near some decent coyote ground, so decided to take my coyote gear along.

Tom, from Night Goggles has a Wraith on order for me. I plan to use it to video most of my daytime hunts. However, Sightmark has struggled to meet the demand, so I haven't received mine yet. Without the Wraith, I still wanted to capture the hunt, so decided to use my Flir PTS536 from Night Goggles to record. Coyotes don't stand out as well during a warm summer day like they do at night when the differing temps result in more contrast, but it worked.

***CAUTION*** Thermals do work during daylight hours, BUT DO NOT POINT EITHER END OF YOUR THERMAL DIRECTLY AT THE SUN. You could get what is called "High Energy Damage" and damage your thermal device.

Good video ! Thanks for sharing
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:

Nice video, Korey. Irontically, just today I took my thermal out to look about and get an idea of what the view might be like. Chickens and a squirrel were the subjects and I was surprised at just how well I could see them. Using thermal day or night makes for versatility.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Nice video, Korey. Irontically, just today I took my thermal out to look about and get an idea of what the view might be like. Chickens and a squirrel were the subjects and I was surprised at just how well I could see them. Using thermal day or night makes for versatility. Hard to beat glass for daytime hunting, but thermal does work and can really see well if they are in some cover. Day or night, it comes down to humidity, and temp differentiation that will make the image look good or not. The thermal doesn't know it's day or night. One of the challenges about using a thermal during the day is you have to really get in tight to the eyecup to block out any external light if it is really sunny.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51Neat Video.
Tell us what Rifle/Caliber/Bipod was used?
Rifle: Specialized Dynamics AR-10, model LRPR
Caliber: 22-250
Tripod: NightStalker from Night Goggles
Call: FoxPro CS24
Thermal Scope: Flir PTS536 from Night Goggles

Back