Thermal Tech Can Be Used Day And Night

Kirsch

I needed to take care of some family obligations near some decent coyote ground, so decided to take my coyote gear along.

Tom, from Night Goggles has a Wraith on order for me. I plan to use it to video most of my daytime hunts. However, Sightmark has struggled to meet the demand, so I haven't received mine yet. Without the Wraith, I still wanted to capture the hunt, so decided to use my Flir PTS536 from Night Goggles to record. Coyotes don't stand out as well during a warm summer day like they do at night when the differing temps result in more contrast, but it worked.

***CAUTION*** Thermals do work during daylight hours, BUT DO NOT POINT EITHER END OF YOUR THERMAL DIRECTLY AT THE SUN. You could get what is called "High Energy Damage" and damage your thermal device.

I don't have thermal but been holding off starting. That's about all it takes to light the fire for an early start.

Originally Posted By: carvercallsAwesome Video Korey!! Appreciate the kind words.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I don't have thermal but been holding off starting. That's about all it takes to light the fire for an early start. It felt good to shake the rust off a little and get some action. Only problem now is I am even more anxious to get out and try to put a full day in.

Around 200 on first shot and 300 on second. 4x base mag brings them in close. When they look that small, they are a ways out there. They saw me move to turn on the camera and didn’t want to come any closer.

Nice video, Korey. Irontically, just today I took my thermal out to look about and get an idea of what the view might be like. Chickens and a squirrel were the subjects and I was surprised at just how well I could see them. Using thermal day or night makes for versatility.

I love having my FoxPro remote on my NightStalker Tripod. I use a magnetic bike handlebar mount and have a metal plate (included with magnet) on the back of the remote.

I got mine from Amazon. It fits the leg of the NightStalker well. I have the remote in my calling vest or pocket on the way to the stand, then I connect it via magnet and it stays put while on the stand just at the right height for easy access. I also have the FoxGrip on my ARs that I have set to Mute the call (or whatever favorite you want to play). This setup works well anytime but especially at night when everything needs to be organized and easily accessible. $11 investment that works really well. If a person needs to mount a phone or really anything that has a flat surface, this would work for that purpose.

Here are some views of what the components looks like.

tripod1.jpg

tripod2.jpg

tripod3.jpg

You will see me move the entire setup at around 3:04. The remote stays exactly where it should be. I wouldn't carry it to the field this way but once you are set up, it will stay right where you put it. I've seen a few others that were round but I like this rectangular shaped one. It keeps the TX1000 remote a lot more solid, so it doesn't move or wiggle when you are adjusting sounds, volume, etc.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMGreat Shooting! RESPECT... My NightStalker makes shots like those possible. I can't imagine coyote hunting without it.

Originally Posted By: wherdogI really like the magnet mount. Just ordered it for my setup. Thanks for the idea!
Glad to share ideas. It is such a simple thing but it really keeps an important component right where it needs to be. It works really well for night time calling. This is how I started using it but now have grown to like it so much, I use it this way all the time.

I don't use the magnet for this, but if anyone is streaming to their phone and using the gun on a tripod to scan back and forth, this could work well also. You just need to put one of the metal plates in your phone case, and your good to go.

Another good use might be to mount a battery pack on it for charging a thermal or nv scope or even a DVR. Anything you want close that you can't or don't want directly on the gun.

Back