Calling Wolves

photohunter

So there is one wolf pack in California.. it's pretty big news, and there is really no quality photos of them out there. Lots of trail cam shots from DFW, etc.
They just killed a calf at a ranch just through the woods from me... maybe a 30 minute quad ride. I've been talking to the ranch owners and they are pretty sure the pack is raising its pups in a fairly specific area not far behind the ranch. They have a huge range though, and there's no way to really know which little corner of this massive wilderness they are actually in. But using what little info the DFW puts out there, and reports of them harassing cattle, studying maps, and talking to ranch owners... I think I can get closer than most people to a general area.
It would be pretty awesome to be the first to get decent photos of these wolves. I might be dreaming but I'd like to try.

So... how do you call in a wolf?

thanks......

My BinL calls them in with fawn distress in WI, incidental to his coyote hunting as he can't shoot them there yet.. I'm sure calf or goat distress would work well.

Go to YouTube and type in Sterlings Extreme Outdoors, look for his wolf hunting videos, has several, some show him successfully calling wolves

Awesome, thanks. AWS, any advice on calling one in that you can't shoot, based on your knowledge? How aggressive might I expect them to be? My understanding is that they are pretty darn shy and will bail pretty quick, and I'm not going to get eaten... I will have a sidearm but they are federally protected
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: parsonGo to YouTube and type in Sterlings Extreme Outdoors, look for his wolf hunting videos, has several, some show him successfully calling wolves

Will do, thanks!!

Originally Posted By: photohunterAwesome, thanks. AWS, any advice on calling one in that you can't shoot, based on your knowledge? How aggressive might I expect them to be? My understanding is that they are pretty darn shy and will bail pretty quick, and I'm not going to get eaten... I will have a sidearm but they are federally protected
smile.gif

and it would not surprise one bit if there is something somewhere that says it is illegal to call wolves.

harassment of protected wildlife and all that kinda happy horsechit.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't call them in a park, state or federal.
I brought one in while calling coyotes. It came and sat at 200 while looking everything over, then it came in to 60 yds and winded me. This is when it spun around to trot off. Last saw it at 700.

Originally Posted By: parsonGo to YouTube and type in Sterlings Extreme Outdoors, look for his wolf hunting videos, has several, some show him successfully calling wolves

Well that guy makes it look like it would be impossible NOT to call them in
thumbup1.gif
haha.

I would think making it sound like a coyote fight is going on. By using coyote growls, coyote fight, coyote pup screams, coyote pup distress and Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound and mixing them all up playing each sound for 10 to 30 seconds and then switching to another sound.

At times I have had great results calling in big male coyotes or groups of coyotes doing this. I told Lone Butte about this method on coyotes and suggested to him it may work on wolves. Check out the below link.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4091&page=1

One of the wolves favorite things to do is chase and kill coyotes so just about any coyote sound will work. Its been my experience that prey distress sounds get them headed out of the country, but they get hunted all the time here. May work better in california.

You got good advice from the above posts. Since you will be calling wolves that have never been hunted, you may actually have some decent success. IF you get lucky enough to see one and they see/smell you, I would expect them to be more curious than anything. If they get to close for your comfort level, just stand up, yell, make yourself big and aggressive. Do NOT bring a dog with you. To avoid any issues with DFG about "harassing" a protected species I would just go out to call and photograph COYOTES! "There I was calling coyotes and look what came in"
smile.gif
Good luck!

Back