Hunting Groundhogs in VA

Dogbone

It's been several years since I hunted groundhogs after moving to NC.

Going to ask you VA hunters a favor. My wife passed away two months ago and I'm looking for things to do. And since hunting groundhogs was always a passion of mine, I'm hoping one or more of my fellow hunters would be kind enough to invite me along on some hunts.

If you're interested, please PM me and let me know if we can work something out. Would be most appreciative. Thanks!

No takers huh? Thanks guys.
frown.gif
Hard to believe there is no one out there willing to accommodate me!

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't know what everyone thinks but I have access to plenty of land and used to shoot many groundhogs. But now I only see one or two a year. It appears in my area the coyotes have wiped them out. However, I can go into town and see a couple of dozen when driving around or dead on the road.

Just my opinion but asking someone to take you hunting on a public forum may not be the best way to find a hunting trip or spot. It's better to start net working by asking friends or relatives or acquaintances in person.

I even know individuals that advertise in the paper and offer a trespass fee. Plenty of opportunities; it just takes a bit more effort these days.

Thanks. Hope no one thinks I'm looking for sympathy.

Don't have any friends or relatives close to where I live or within a reasonable distance that hunt.

Thought this forum, on which I was very active awhile back, would be the best resource.

Since I don't live in VA (VA being the closest state to me with groundhogs), I don't have access to local papers and wouldn't even know where to begin to look. Hence my appeal to my fellow hunters via this forum.

But thanks again for at least answering my post.

PS. What I find interesting is back when I was posting on a regular basis, I was getting compliments on my posts from guys from VA and MD all the time. Wonder what happened to them? Thought for sure they would make me an offer. Oh well.

Last edited:
I am in SE PA and we have the same problem mentioned earlier. Up until the past 4-5 years we used to be loaded with ghogs all around. Anymore we rarely see any at all unless they are around structures or along the side of highways.

Originally Posted By: motownI am in SE PA and we have the same problem mentioned earlier. Up until the past 4-5 years we used to be loaded with ghogs all around. Anymore we rarely see any at all unless they are around structures or along the side of highways.

I am in Virginia and see the same scenerio. Groundhog hunting used to be a passion with countless hours in the hay fields each summer, and the rest of the year spent trying out new varmint rifles, loads and scopes. All that is gone now. The population dwindled here to the point that I haven’t groundhog hunted in probably 5-6 years at least. Sad.

Hello coyote, goodbye groundhog. There are very few of them anymore. Not like there used to be before coyotes came along. I suspect the contacts you knew, just don't have any places to shoot them anymore. They might be in populated areas, around farmsteads etc, but not out in the fields and fence rows where they used to be. Hope you find a place to hunt and get to exercise your old pastime again. It's going to be hard to do though.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: motownI am in SE PA and we have the same problem mentioned earlier. Up until the past 4-5 years we used to be loaded with ghogs all around. Anymore we rarely see any at all unless they are around structures or along the side of highways.

I am in Virginia and see the same scenerio. Groundhog hunting used to be a passion with countless hours in the hay fields each summer, and the rest of the year spent trying out new varmint rifles, loads and scopes. All that is gone now. The population dwindled here to the point that I haven’t groundhog hunted in probably 5-6 years at least. Sad.

We have their smaller cousins, the Rock Chuck, out west, but we suffer from the same problem as the numbers have really dwindled over the last 15-20 years. Now, about the only time I see them is in and around areas where you can't shoot them. My sister has a boat load of rock chucks in the surrounding areas near her house, but the people that live in her gated community would have me locked up if showed up and started smoking them with my suppressed 17 WSM or 17 Hornet, but dam is it tempting.

Back