XP-100 22-250

pyscodog

Got a new to me toy and going to start load work. Any suggestions on powder and bullet? I know with the 14 inch barrel velocity will be different than a rifle so I just want to work with accuracy more than speed. I have ALL kinds of bullets in 22 cal. and all different weights. It may get hunted a little but probably see more paper than fur.

I haven't ever tried 4064 in the 22-250. I've used it in other calibers. Maybe I should give it a try. I loaded a few with 8208 today. Never used it in the 250 either, usually just 223. Just thinking trying different powders might show me some different results. Thanks

H414 has always been my go to powder for bullets in the 50-55gr range.

I've talked to quite a few guys that have been using RL17 in their 22-250's with great results also.

IMR 4064 has been my powder for around 40 years. Never disappointed with reloads and FPS. IMR 4320 used to be the recommended powder for 22-250 when that round first came out. I got a smoking deal on the 4320 for 8.00 a lb. I loaded up a 100 with 40 gr. Noslers for P.D.'s. Longest shot was 425 yards. Was very satisfied with that powder also. Takes a little more power than IMR 4064 but FPS on that round was pretty close match. I'm glad I bought 10 lbs. of it.

Rudy

I tried 8208 and 55grain BlitzKings and V-Max today. Results weren't very good. It was either me or the loads or both. Going to have to try something else next time out.

Is it the rear grip xp100 R?......or i think maybe some may have come from the custom shop as a wood stock center grip.
Either would be very nice! Keep trying.....should shoot awesome. Varget, H4895, or H380 maybe???.....and who knows, maybe it will like 50gr bullets better.

Here is my 243 xp i had built. Havnt got to shoot it much or work up a good load yet. I want to give it the time it deserves when i do.

Mines a rear grip XP-100R. The stocks is a McMillan. I assume it came that way from Remington. First time I shot it, I used a rifle scope. The 22-250 has enough recoil in pistol form that it is in your face pretty quick so I put a 2.5x8 Nikon pistol scope on it. While still working on a good load, I'm still working on a good rest system also. A regular rifle rest is either to tall or to short, depending on what I use in the rear. I do have a heavy shooting bag that I think will work best off a bench while working up a good load. Anyway, Its fun to shoot and something totally different from shooting rifles all the time.

never had any real accuracy with a 22-250 until I tried h4895, powders tried that did poorly for me were varget,h380,4064. spike

Most loads published are for rifle length barrels. Should I use them or drop down to the lighter side due to the shorter barrel?

KYODE-who built your pistol? What barrel did you use.I have been thinking about rebarreling mine with a heavier barrel in the future.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogKYODE-who built your pistol? What barrel did you use.I have been thinking about rebarreling mine with a heavier barrel in the future.

I used to have XP-100 in 7mm-08. With the factory nylon stock it was quite uncomfortable to shoot to say the least. I wore a handball glove when I fired it. I eventually traded it off for something way more practical. Might have kept it if it was not so un-fun too shoot. I would think that a .22/250, while noisy, would be pretty OK with me.

Russ, recoil of the 22-250 isn't bad but does let you know its there. I didn't like my face that close to the scope so went with a long eye relief pistol scope. Much better for me anyway. Sure a lot different than shooting a rifle.......but its fun.

Funny story. I had a new spinner target and had it at 200 yards. I had been shooting it with my K-Hornet. Well.......lets see if I can hit it with the XP. Seems the XP was shooting a little low at 200 and I hit the metal bar that the spinner fits on. Cut that sucker smooth in half and ruined my brand new spinner. I don't think WalMart will let me return this item. LOL

I have a friend that has several of the mid grip XP's.He also has a 7mm08 and says its not real pleasant to shoot.

Last edited:
Don fraley at advanced weapons technology in russell ky. Great gunsmith that builds custom long range rifles, super nice 1911’s , among other things.

He has computerized equipment( i guess cnc?)and makes his own muzzle brakes. That will eliminate that nasty recoil
thumbup.gif

Not too long ago I picked up another xp in 223 with the black factory stock. Havnt fired it yet but think i will leave it as is for now. I could sure think of some nice things to turn it into though with that small boltface. A 6x45 would be just great, or even a faster twist 223.

Originally Posted By: igorI thought a 30-30 barrel for my TC contender would be fun. I was wrong.

I had a Savage Striker in 308 years ago. It wasn't real fun to shoot either. Shot great but killed on both ends.

Back