Lightest AR ??? Newbee

Tinker01

I dont have an AR yet. Mainly because I dont know a lot about them. But thinking of getting one to hunt coyotes. Another thing is the ones I have shot are really heavy. What brand or what is the lightest ones on market. Maybe in .204 ruger or .223.??

I looked into putting a lite AR together awhile back and learned real quick that as weight goes down the price goes up pretty fast.

Just watch your barrel profile and could also get one with a fluted barrel to help a little and they can be pretty manageable. What kind of weight do you have in mind? Give Ritch a call and see what he says. The barrel is proably the biggest place to save weight.

Weight is relative, as is balance, which is also important. Too light can be very unsteady to shoot in certain circumstances. Too heavy is a pain to drag around, and can limit your fun and hunt. Try some lighter ones out in different configurations if you can handle them somewhere, and see what balances well for you, and at what weights. As mentioned above, going super light is very expensive. There are some great threads on this on on ar15.com - those guys have weighed out hundreds of parts, and have lists down to the 1/10 ounce on a lot of parts out there for sale. I'm looking at something similar w/o getting crazy on price with titanium parts, etc. Here in PA, I expect to carry it a lot, and not shoot it a whole lot considering our Eastern predator cooperation...lol!! Thinking a quality 18" pencil barrel (I wont be shooting too many strings of shots at predators in reality, so heating up the bbl is not an issue in my mind), lightweight bcg from Brownell's, adjustable gas block to even things out as needed, an Odin Works LW handguard, and a New Frontier poly lower, w/ an aftermarket trigger to lighten up the bottom end - the rest would be pretty much standard run of the mill AR parts to keep the price down - weight savings on the rest is minimal till you start spending a bunch from what I've seen. There are guys over there at ar15.com that have sub-4# rifles, but again, it gets spendy to get down that low. I think my plan should get me down towards 5# and maybe only be a couple hundred bucks over a run-of-the-mill AR package gun? YMMV.

Last edited:
Back