Pulsar firmware update issue "broken file"

varminter .223

As the title says when I connect to my Trail xp50 and do the upgrade the process starts and then after just a few moments it says broken file try again later. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223As the title says when I connect to my Trail xp50 and do the upgrade the process starts and then after just a few moments it says broken file try again later. Any ideas?

Illinois banned the update in their state

I've done lots of Pulsar updates, but haven't seen that message. Went to the Facebook Pulsar Night Vision and Thermal Hunting Group and didn't see anything similar there either. I would give Pulsar a call at 817-225-0310.

I am seeing some reports on the Facebook Pulsar Night Vision and Thermal Hunting Group about this same message now. Some suggestions that worked for some and not others:

1) Delete the App, restart phone, download app again, and try it again
2) Make sure phone isn't full (storage)
3) Keep trying to download and eventually it works

I will keep monitoring the thread and comment as I hear more.

Another user who described your exact same issue did the following and it worked.

Launch StremVision. Go to your devices in StreamVision, and delete the Pulsar Device that won't allow downloading. Reboot StreamVision device (phone/tablet), launch StreamVision and wifi on Pulsar device, and connect like the first time. This will restablish link and add your Pulsar Device back in StreamVision. Then start your process all over again, as you will need to get Internet Access to your device again and launch StreamVision. It should see you can download new software and continue as it should have been the first time.

I spoke with a guy at Sellmark and this particular guy said he had just talked to another guy who had the same problem and fixed his by deleting the device off of stream vision and then deleting stream vision from his apps and then re downloading the stream vision app. I did that and the update worked fine. Either the air is really clean tonight or this update really clears up the image. Scope really looks good and in my opinion is noticeably better than it was.

Last edited:
I did this latest firmware update to my XQ38 today...it went/updated without any problems, but the image went to %hit! The last update did the same thing...very grainy...and as you suggested Kirsch, I went back and defaulted the scope to factory settings and that helped...well after doing this update and getting the similar grainy image, I again went to the factory default to clear it up but it did not change a thing...still very grainy...actually it sucks! Wish now I had not bothered with it.

Gene

Gene,

Press the front (UP) button quickly on the scope and it will cycle through the 3 viewing modeson each push (Forest, ID, and Rocks). See if one is better than the rest.

On my Helion the image improved and the recording image improved significantly. I am not trying to insult your intelligence Gene, but is it possible the humidity was different when you tested the scope? Humidity can totally turn a thermal image to crap. Also, this change did make a fairly substantial difference to the image. Play with the three viewing modes and find one you like, than I would go into the Menu and start playing with brightness and contrast to see if you can get an image you like. I've been watching the Pulsar Facebook group pretty close and virtually all comments were positive after the update. If these suggestions don't help, I would give Pulsar Customer Service a call.

While it is humid outside, I am inside with AC going. Yes, I can toggle thru the various ID modes and can adjust the brightness and contrast to the point that I don't see the graininess, but I can get a "hot" object clear but surrounding structure is very undefined. Ironically, I just did the update on my Helion and it did the same thing. Previously I had my best resolution on the "eye" mode...could get hot object clear and surrounding stuff very well defined. Cannot seem to get it to that level now. The forest and rock modes seem to be more clear on the "object", but like I said, the surrounding stuff is not well defined at all. I will play with it some more, but for now I sure cannot get it like it was before this update. Thanks

Gene

Gene, I am still having the same issues with my Trail XQ38 as I stated in the thread I started. I went and installed this FW update hoping my grainy issue would go away from the last FW update...no luck. White hot seems really good because the landscape is black so the graininess doesnt show up but black hot is not that good. I am also finding the better image with rock or forest mode. For me to eliminate the grainy issue, I have to set the brightness at 2 and the contrast at 4/5 and that makes anything in the background washed out and not showing any detail. Still wished that I didn't do that first update.

Originally Posted By: JB-WIGene, I am still having the same issues with my Trail XQ38 as I stated in the thread I started. I went and installed this FW update hoping my grainy issue would go away from the last FW update...no luck. White hot seems really good because the landscape is black so the graininess doesnt show up but black hot is not that good. I am also finding the better image with rock or forest mode. For me to eliminate the grainy issue, I have to set the brightness at 2 and the contrast at 4/5 and that makes anything in the background washed out and not showing any detail. Still wished that I didn't do that first update.

That's exactly what I am experiencing...the rock or forest gets me the clearest image but everything else is "washed" out. The previous FW update, I was able to restore my image quality by re-setting the scope to factory default settings...now with this newest FW update, it won't give me the image quality, even doing the factory default. I called Sellmark Tech support and explained everything...he agreed that I have tried everything and it will be best to send it in. He said to go to pulsarnv.com and fill out the warranty service request form. I am currently waiting on a return email from Pulsar now to send it in. Hopefully they will get it all figured out.

Originally Posted By: cmateraBased on what I'm reading here, I'm leaving my Trail XP38 alone.

I am wondering if this is only happening to the XQ lines of equipment versus the XP line? The few XP owners that have posted on doing the upgrade are satisfied that it "enhanced" the image. My helion XQ degraded just like my scope did...so I guess I need to see about sending it in too. Maybe wait until I see if the scope gets taken care of or not.

Gene, just curious what your brightness and contrast are set at? Just wondering if they are comparable to what I have mine set at.

Originally Posted By: JB-WIGene, just curious what your brightness and contrast are set at? Just wondering if they are comparable to what I have mine set at.

I had to lower both of my setting just as you did to get somewhat of a clear image...down in the 2-3 range on the brightness and 4-6 range on contrast...just right at the same as you. When the brightness and contrast are set in the middle at 10 each, the graininess and vertical lines are horrible!

Yep exactly the same as mine but mine did that with the FW update prior to this one. This new FW update is actually a tad worse now. I was having good luck with the forest mode after the FW update before this one...not anymore.
It would have been nice if the updated FW would keep the bright/contrast settings when quick flipping between the three modes. When I up arrow through the modes, I believe the brightness reverts back to 11 and contrast is 10.

JB-WI, I agree that this FW update was worse than the previous one...quite a bit so! I got a response back from Pulsar needing proof of purchase to continue the return process...I registered the unit for the warranty as soon as I got it...would have thought that would have been on file. I do have my purchase invoice/receipt so no problem, but others that may have to return their units, take note of it.
Yes, I don't like the fact that the brightness/contrast setting "defaults" to 11 and 10 when going thru the modes...have no idea why they would write that into the firmware.

Yotehunter243 updated his trail xq38 and was so blown away that he started second guessing going to a trijicon. That's what convinced me to update my xp50.

Last edited:
Back