Eastern Coyote Scat

Mtns2hunt

I have a question: on a dirt road I found scat. Thought at first it was coyote but it consists almost entirely of fur and is separated into sections. Scat was not covered and could find no tracks on very hard (packed) earth. Have seen a big cat in area.

Killed a coyote running directly at me at seventy yards a few weeks back caught him on the upswing and busted up his pelvis with a 243. There was four or five inches of scat coming out the back and there was not a lot of hair in it.

Wondering if the first scat was bobcat?

It could be either one depending on the last meal of the critter. Coyotes are more prone to defecate on trails and roadways than bobcats who are a bit more secretive in habits.

Originally Posted By: GCDid it look like a Tootsie Roll?

No, not what I would call a Tootsie roll but was segmented. This is a farm road and I frequently find coyote scat but this was different and consisted almost entirely of hair as far as I could tell. I think the only way to know for sure is to put a camera on the road.

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: GCDid it look like a Tootsie Roll?

No, not what I would call a Tootsie roll but was segmented. This is a farm road and I frequently find coyote scat but this was different and consisted almost entirely of hair as far as I could tell. I think the only way to know for sure is to put a camera on the road.

Was Coyote

You tasted it didn’t you
w00t.gif
!!!

Just zoomed in on your pic, AWESOME CAT !!! You did something I should have done when I had good knees. Congrats !!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pa. MickYou tasted it didn’t you
w00t.gif
!!!

Just zoomed in on your pic, AWESOME CAT !!! You did something I should have done when I had good knees. Congrats !!!

Thanks! Cat was 160 Lbs and killed in Lander Wyoming. He made it into the Boone and Crockett book. 6 day hunt and killed on day 5.

Did not taste cat although everyone said they taste good. I am allergic to cats and we were very remote. Did not want to tempt fate anymore after scrambling up and down those mountains. Fun but very tough hunt and would highly recommend.

Back