What is an Assualt weapon?

pyscodog

I'm so F'in tired of that terminology being used by people that haven't got a clue what one is but still insist on banning them. Trying to convince someone that a firearm is not the problem seems redundant anymore. I hate the mass shootings and agree something needs to be done but I don't have any answer other than if someone wants to kill people, they will find a way and not always with a gun.

An assault weapon... seems that would be a weapon used to assault someone. I have seen people assaulted by guns, knives, cars and trucks, hammers, baseball bats, golf clubs, tire irons, bricks, bottles, full cans of beer, beer mugs, ugly mugs, ect. That's a lot of banning!

By definition I'm pretty sure it's anything with a detachable magazine. Anything that looks scary or has an attachment on it that isn't on a musket.lol

Back in the early days of "assault weapons" ban attempts their definition of an "assault weapon" matched my Remington 11-87 duck gun perfectly. We will need to watch the development of the definitions closely.

Moosetrot

Old uncle Joe B believes in the double barrel shotgun, that's all you should have or need and not sure most other DFL leaders would allow any firearm.

Personally I don't call my gun a weapon. It's just a gun. Anything can become a weapon but it is not until the bearer makes the thing a weapon.

I too am tired of assault this and assault that. If someone attacks another with a club I guess that would make it an assault club.

I think all the labeling is just so the antis can separate gun owners into smaller groups according to their discipline making them easier to "assault".

Originally Posted By: GCAn assault weapon... seems that would be a weapon used to assault someone. I have seen people assaulted by guns, knives, cars and trucks, hammers, baseball bats, golf clubs, tire irons, bricks, bottles, full cans of beer, beer mugs, ugly mugs, ect. That's a lot of banning!

This is a perfect example of what I tried to get across to the simple minded people that wanted to argue about it. Heck a dinner fork could be a dangerous weapon. A dang pencil is an assault weapon to John Wick!
smile.gif

A salt weapon is a gun that shoots table salt. I keep a salt weapon in my kitchen. The magazine holds about 80 rounds. Got my daughter a salt weapon in pink camo too. We are safe with them and never shoot somebody else's food. I hope they don't get banned. Shot an ugly spider with a salt weapon this morning and it came in handy for a moth invasion about a month ago.

If they have it their way, their assault weapon description will encompass whatever they want it to, and will be broad and fluid enough to continue their gun-grabbing crusade until we are left with nothing more than sticks and stones.

It's like when they call them weapons of war. That's a broad one for sure. It covers almost everything down to sticks and rocks if you go back in time far enough.

It basically is a black rifle as California's super senior senator Diane Feinstein describes it. But if you are a liberal it is whatever gun you want to label as such because they don't know one from the other.

Last edited:
actually as DIFI describes it... its pretty much any semi-auto firearm on the planet that isnt a 22lr, and probably some of them as well.

Per the military definition, an assault weapon must have full auto capabilities. What the media likes to call assault weapons are all weapons that resemble weapons that have FA capabilities. What they will not tell you is that all true assault weapons were banded back in 86. Hughes amendment made it illegal for civilians to own new machine guns. Luckily all the ones on the books were grandfathered in.

Fursniper, ya need to order a laser sight for your salt weapon.
Much, much more accurate than the sight system that comes with
it!

Originally Posted By: HarperJTPer the military definition, an assault weapon must have full auto capabilities. What the media likes to call assault weapons are all weapons that resemble weapons that have FA capabilities. What they will not tell you is that all true assault weapons were banded back in 86. Hughes amendment made it illegal for civilians to own new machine guns. Luckily all the ones on the books were grandfathered in.

In 1970, my boot camp was one of the first to be trained with
M-16's. You could call them rifles or assault weapons, but
NEVER call them a gun, or you would have to run circles around
your platoon, with one hand raising the M-16 as high as
possible and grabbing your crotch with the other, yelling,
"This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for shooting, the
other is for fun!"

Why is it that the FBI issues M-16's as "defense weapons" to
certain officers, yet seem to be on-board with calling AR-15's
"assault weapons" when in the hands of civilians???

Bayonet, M9 Beretta, M-4, SAW, 240, M-60, just your basic 11 Bravo tools !

In general your M-16 variant would need full auto or three round burst capability.

Originally Posted By: HarperJTPer the military definition, an assault weapon must have full auto capabilities. What the media likes to call assault weapons are all weapons that resemble weapons that have FA capabilities. What they will not tell you is that all true assault weapons were banded back in 86. Hughes amendment made it illegal for civilians to own new machine guns. Luckily all the ones on the books were grandfathered in.
I believe the DoJ uses the same definition of an assault weapon as the DoD.

NYH1.

They are items that are made by companies that do not give money
to Democrats for their reelection campaign.
It all about the money. 15 to 50 people are shot in Chicago every week.
It does not make the news. Bush41 signed the first ban.
Bill Clinton let it expire so he could get money for reelection from China.
300,000 AK type rifles came here and Bill got $1 per rifle.
His campaign had to give it back. That is why they started going to Russia for money.

Back