Anyone in the East hunt crows?

Mtns2hunt

As the topic states does anyone in the East hunt crows? All the posts I could find on this forum are from 2015 or earlier. I hunt them several times a year and do fairly well. I use an 1100, any low brass shells I have laying around, both an e-call and mouth call. I have about twenty or so decoys but normally only carry 7 or 8.

My decoys are not flocked but I read on one of the old forums to use armorall wipes to make the decoys shine as they are not supposed to be dull. But flocking makes the crow look almost black. Any opinions on what will work best: armoral or flocking?

Most of the crow hunting discussion has taken place in either the Varmint or Bird Hunting forums. My son in law is a big time crow hunter and I hunt with him several times per year. His decoys are flocked. I usually use one of my 12 gauge Benelli M1's with a modified choke tube and good sporting clays shells with 7.5 size shot. It is a hoot, I like hunting them.

Originally Posted By: GCMost of the crow hunting discussion has taken place in either the Varmint or Bird Hunting forums. My son in law is a big time crow hunter and I hunt with him several times per year. His decoys are flocked. I usually use one of my 12 gauge Benelli M1's with a modified choke tube and good sporting clays shells with 7.5 size shot. It is a hoot, I like hunting them.

Thanks for the direction. Must have missed the bird forum. Sure don't want to mess up the norms.

No issue. Just thought you might find additional information where I've seen crow hunting discussion most often.

October 17 2010, 5;00 am to 11;00 am I picked up 90 off the ground, with tons of misses and cripples making it to the woods.
My two Wildlife Tech callers were smoking as was my Franchi 650 twenty gauge, man that was a great day..Crow shooting is one of the best kept secrets of varmint hunting.
The next year we had a tornado and late summer floods, haven't had the volumes of crows since..
I also was into Pidgeon shooting and goose hunting, had to give it all up because I have frozen shoulder and can not wing shoot any more..
Now I just snipe yotes and chucks..

Last edited:
Any opinions on what will work best: armoral or flocking?

I'd save money and go with the amorral. I have a few flocked decoys, but usually use 2 dozen Flambeau full bodies. IMHO the key is to have a good spot and be well hidden.

I often use two electronic callers, one to the left the other to the right of my blind. Decoys spread out in front of the blind with a few in trees close by.You'll have more luck if you play sounds that peak their interest, but don't bring them in, in attack mode. When a flock comes in all fired up and you shoot one or two you won't get the rest of the flock to come back.

Up until a few years ago I expected to shoot 20 to 50 for a half day hunt, but the last few years I don't have good enough numbers in the fall/winter on the spots I hunt to shoot more than a handful.

My crow decoys look pretty rough, I may try the Armor All, or spray paint. Another trick I have used with good success if spray painting some dove decoys (ones with a clothes pin), and just clip them as needed. They're smaller than regular crow decoys, easier to carry. Crows never seemed to mind.
Crows in my area seem to get smarter every year, and harder to call. Most of the time, I have better luck with mouth calls, than with my Foxpro.

Back