223 power 22-250 loads?

I’ve been wanting to do a batch a reduced power loads for my 22-250, something along the lines of 223 velocity. I’m having a hard time finding data for them. I have a large quantity of 55 fmj’s that I load in my plinking AR loads. I also have a large quantity of surplus pull down W844 (close to H335) and some W846 (close BLC2) to powder. Hoping to be able to use them also if possible.

My two youngest (10yr girl & 7yr boy) are shooting a lot more and are starting to prefer the centerfires over the 22’s and bb’s guns. I have AR’s in 556, but my boy really enjoys shooting my heavy barreled 22-250 Rem 700 off bipods. I’m just trying to cook up some cheap ammo and avoid burning up the barrel running lighter loads.

Last edited:
I would stay in the 22-250 load range of data. From just glancing at load manuals the starting data for the 22-250 is close to top end 223 data.

If you load them too low you are going to have lots of feeding and ejection problems, not fun with youngsters. Starting loads will have minimum recoil in your heavy rifle and have minimum wear on your rifle.

Originally Posted By: AWSIf you load them too low you are going to have lots of feeding and ejection problems, not fun with youngsters.

This is a bolt action.

have you considered a similar build - heavy barrel, bipid, etc - in 223 for him to try? is it something he might be interested in?

give you the possibility of the best of both worlds - a rifle platform that he enjoys and the barrel life and powder and cost efficiency of the 223/556 case

I won’t be building a 223 bolt action at this time. 3 kids in school and a wife starting her doctorate makes money pretty tight. That’s why I’m looking at reduced loads so I don’t wear this barrel out in a hurry.

Last edited:
Couple years ago I needed the same sort of download in my T/C Venture 22-250.
Using 60gn SP HDY, 8208 xbr, CCI-200, HDY brass, 2.350" COL got chrono speeds :
32.00 gn => 3244 fps
30.00 gn => 3083 fps
28.00 gn => 2896 fps
26.00 gn => 2697 fps, but don't go any less than this
Your mileage may vary..

16 or 17 grains of Blue Dot will give you around 2900-3000 fps with a 55 grain bullet. I get amazing accuracy with 17 grains of BD and a 40 grain Vmax. One of my favorite ground squirrel loads when shooting that round.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I won’t be building a 223 bolt action at this time. 3 kids in school and a wife starting her doctorate makes money pretty tight. That’s why I’m looking at reduced loads so I don’t wear this barrel out in a hurry.

all good man, totally understandable. was just throwing it out there if you were having a bit of tunnel vision is all
smile.gif

There’s always(usually, yes for 22-250) H-4895 & Hodgdon’s ‘60% rule’ for reduced loads. I see they list data with H-4895.

I picked up a pound of Blue Dot and I’ll be picking up a pound of H4895 later this week and hopefully be doing some accuracy and velocity testing in the next few weeks.

I was looking for a reduced load for my 22-250 for finishing off wounded coyotes and not blowing a hole in the fur.I called Hodgdon powders and they recommended Trailboss powder.the powder looks like little donuts so it helps fill the volume of the case.I was using 55 grain Gamekings and they worked great and were very accurate.the velocity was more like a 22 magnum.

When using Blue Dot I'd recommend only charging one case at the time and loading it. It is easy to double charge with Blue Dot and you don't want that to happen.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700Down the road, the plan is too add a fast twist 223 AI to the collection, but I’m a few years out on that project. Consider a 22-204 instead, much less feeding issues.

Back