Best factory sporter rifle right now

I don't know if its "The Best" but Tikka has to be right up there close to the top. At least for mid priced hunting rifles.

Would you consider the Tikka a sporter weight or ultra light weight rifle? Im not disagreeing with Tikka being a good rifle, just dont see it as the "deer hunting" weight rifle Rems and Wins used to rule.

Tikka has been a favorite of mine for decades. For more money you can get a Sako and a 5 shot vs 3 shot guarantee.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Would you consider the Tikka a sporter weight or ultra light weight rifle? Im not disagreeing with Tikka being a good rifle, just dont see it as the "deer hunting" weight rifle Rems and Wins used to rule.

I would say Sporter. It sure isn't a mountain contoured barrel.

Best depends on a lot of personal preferences...

I've had great luck with Weatherby Vanguard S2's. Howa 1500 is basically the same barreled action as the Vanguard, I've just happened to find better deals on Vanguards when I'm shopping. Tikka is nice as well...wish they weren't a one-size-fits-all action length. A true short action Tikka would be sweet.

Another vote for tikka T3X CTR. I like Begara as well in HMR. Im sure there are others out there but bang for the buck those are my two picks.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89 Im not disagreeing with Tikka being a good rifle, just dont see it as the "deer hunting" weight rifle Rems and Wins used to rule.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying here. The synthetic stock is very rigid and light weight and if you prefer wood, Tikka offers their rifles with nice walnut stocks.

I've had a load of different bolt actions over the years. I really like full stock Sako's but the Bavarian mid forend schnabel and the hump back butt leaves me cold. The little Ruger 77 RSI in 308 would really be nice as would the same rifle but SS in 260 Rem has a lot of appeal.

I haven't owned one but my nephew has a couple of Kimber Hunters that I've played with(280AI and 243) and really like.

I think my all time favorite is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 308. I bought one for my dad in 270 but have yet to buy one for myself.

Last edited:
In todays market, there are lots of options for an accurate hunting rifle. Just reading this post has given several options and all are good ones. Its really going to come down to what you like the best and fits in your budget. Tikka, Remington, Savage, Winchester, Browning, Sako, Kimber, T/C, Howa, all have been mentioned and all would be a good choice. Now you just need to go shopping.

For the money spent, Bergara without a doubt.

The newer Winchesters are good too, even though they are made in Portugal as some pundits like to remind others. They are far superior to what USRA turned out during its final death grunts in New Haven.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: mbaysinger89 Im not disagreeing with Tikka being a good rifle, just dont see it as the "deer hunting" weight rifle Rems and Wins used to rule.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying here. The synthetic stock is very rigid and light weight and if you prefer wood, Tikka offers their rifles with nice walnut stocks.

Not really saying anything. I'm a big fan of the Howa/Vangaurd rifles and really like Sako stuff.

I'm really not looking to buy right now either. An observation after looking around for a nice sporter weight rifle is that I didnt see many offerings of the quintesential style sporter guns that isn't a budget model.

All the word of Remingtons quality decreasing scared me from that, and I like 3 positions safeties. You dont hear much about Winchesters anymore good or bad. The Tikkas Ive had were nice, but always seemed to find a way down the road. Just seeing other opinions on the topic.

Define best? Best throw away? Best heirloom? Best in strength? Best in accuracy? Best in function? Best in aftermarket support?

Back