How much power?

pyscodog

Rem. XP 100R, 22-250. How much scope is enough? Gonna make a truck gun out of it and needs some glass and opinions on power.

I ran a 2x7 Burris long eye relief pistol scope on a .35 Remington. Burris had a real nice clean view but I don’t know if the power would be a good choice for you for a 22-250. If you get out someplace though look through a Burris pistol scope.

It really depends on what kind of terrain your in, if your never going to get a shot over 200 yards a 4-16 isn't what I'd call ideal, if all your shots are over that the 4-16 might be perfect. I have a 22-250 that is reserved for open country, it wears a 2.5-10x40mm, I've yet to have to turn it up from 2.5x to kill a coyote.

My got to scope on a bolt action for calling coyotes is a 1.5-6x40mm and they are honest 300 yard rifles, even my 1-4x20mm scopes on my combo guns are 300 yard rifle.

It really depends on what kind of terrain your in, if your never going to get a shot over 200 yards a 4-16 isn't what I'd call ideal, if all your shots are over that the 4-16 might be perfect. I have a 22-250 that is reserved for open country, it wears a 2.5-10x40mm, I've yet to have to turn it up from 2.5x to kill a coyote.

My goto scope on a bolt action for calling coyotes is a 1.5-6x40mm and they are honest 300 yard rifles, even my 1-4x20mm scopes on my combo guns are 300 yard rifle.

I bought a Nikon Force XR, 2.5x8 with the BDC reticle. I think it will work just fine on the XP. Really clear and compact scope. I got an outstanding deal on it as well.
thumbup1.gif

Im on board with the 2.5ish to 10ish power also. My compass pretty much lives in my rig and it still has the 3-9x40 vortex cf2 it came with. Been perfect for everything ive needed it for. I do want a higher quality scope eventually though.

Burris old Signature 3-12 is a great scope if you can find one, battle tough.

Truck guns can mean longer shots, make sure you get a scope with a really stout scope tube to take the abuse from bouncing around.

I would keep the power low for the XP100, Extended Eye Relief. 1x on the bottom end and below 7x on the top end.

That handgun is excellent for long range shooting, fixed power or variable power are both a viable option for your case.

The very first on I saw had a fixed 2.5 and that was what I was going to put on mine, but alas I never got the one I was working on getting back then, about 1977 or 1978, as I recall in .221 fireball. that was the only caliber back then.

Bulletpusher

I honestly think once you get to playing with the XP you will want for more X’s sooner than later. A variable will let you work up to it. I really like the old 7x Burris. The 3x9 and 4x12, you will loose some eye relief as you go up
In power. The 2-6 Bushnell Elite will keep a more constant eye relief, they may be to much.

I put a 2.5x8 Nikon pistol scope on it. Lower power offers better eye relief but when turned up to 8 I have to change my hold as the eye relief gets shorter.

Pistol scopes for moderately heavy recoil are difficult because you either have enough eye relief or it comes back in your face. Personally I have tried many different pistol scopes and long story short my favorite I prefer an Aimpoint 9000L or other similar red dot with the zero at 100 yds and knowledge of where impact is at 50 and 200. I do have a Nikon 2.5 to 8 Pisol scope on a 44 mag Bullberry TX Encore pistol down side is it only has 40 moa of internal adjustment that is not much. I really did not like the Burris 3-12x32 pistol scope that I had due to short eye relief. Burris does make a 2x that should be a fine choice as syse relief is from 24 in to 10 in. I had a 1x on a 45-70 pistol and it was great no eye relief issue .

Back