Rings for Ruger #1

BMeyer

I have a 50mm Leupold that I want to put on a Ruger #1. Can I get some advice on which rings to purchase from you guys that know way more than I do?

Probably going to need tall rings. Leupold makes rings for Ruger rifles. I had to buy some for my Swift. (I think the No.1's use the same rings and the 77's)

What size tube you have 1” or 30mm? I have some 1” that I think came off my #1 25-06 they are blued finish. If you are using a 1” scope I’d give them to you. They were what ever height that came with my gun new back in 1979.... old but they look fine. One looks a little taller than the other, I can’t remember if one ring on a number 1 is on the frame and the other is on barrel. Send me a PM with email if they may work for you and I’ll send you picture. And if they will work I’ll send them to you.

I can't say the #1's and the 77's are the same but most Ruger rings are different heights.Except the RAR and RPR. They use standard Weaver style rings. My 77 is a varmint and I used a 44mm scope and the factory rings weren't tall enough. I had to use tall rings to clear the barrel. Even with a standard barrel you may have to get a set of taller rings to clear the 50mm bell.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I was figuring on tall rings as well. After reading some more last night I think I will need a pair that includes an extension ring to make sure I get enough eye relief. Have you noticed that being an issue at all with your No 1?

Viper, my No 1 is also a 25-06 and my scope does have a one inch tube, but my gun has the rail on it like the one in the pic below, so I will need to get a pair of rings that are the same height. Very nice of you to offer, but I don't believe your rings will work.

Pysco, I believe I found the right Leopold rings on the Natchez website, and will order them today.

Thanks again for the help, it confirmed what I was already thinking.
PDGO6CP.jpg

Rugers are great rifles and I like the No.1's. But finding the right rings can be a costly PITA. My smith/friend has three or four and he has had the same problems as the rest of us finding rings that work correctly. He had to use extended rings to get correct eye relief also.

I have heard, and please don't shoot the messenger, that If you contact Ruger, they will trade rings with you for free. Just something I was told, don't know it to be true or not.

Last edited:
For what it's worth... I just scoped two Ruger M77's VT rifles recently with Leupold scopes. I called Ruger directly, told them what I had, and they sent the correct 30mm rings... I want to say about $39 a ring.

Last edited:
I bought the Leupold high extended rings. I believe that I might have been able to get by with the mediums, but otherwise all turned out well. As Petey said, the No 1 and the 77 take different rings. Thanks for the help!

I had to use an offset rings on my Ruger #1 to get the scope moved far enough back to get the proper eye relief. This was with a Redfield 2x7 scope. It works ok, I'm not thrilled with the way it looks.

All of my #1's (6) have the extended rings on both ends. I found this the best way to set the scope for eye relief. You will likely find this critical. I understand you have already ordered rings but you my need to take a close look at how much front to back movement you have to set that eye relief.

As to height, well thats another story.

Just sayin

Last one I scoped up needed Burris signature rings, at 100 yards the scoped needed 9+ inches to center. Not good to use up over 9 moa of adjustment to center.

Back