44 mag loads for Henry Big Boy

cjclemens

My father in law just bought a Henry Big Boy in .44 Magnum, and now he's bugging me about working up some reloads for him. I've only ever loaded .44 magnum for my Ruger Blackhawk. Does anyone have suggestions on loading it for a rifle? I was looking at starting with the Hornady 225 grain FTX bullets and Lil Gun powder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

20 grains of Lil Gun or WW 296 should give an easy 1700 fps or so when using the 225 grain bullet.Plenty enough for any deer on this planet. No need for a magnum primer.

I am loading 23 grains of H110 and a 240 gr Hornaday XTP FOR MY MARLIN and Ruger Black Hawk. i am using the Hornaday cause it is .430 in diameter and shoots a little better in my Marlin than the .429 Speers.

FYI H110 and Winchester 296 are the same powder. You probably know this but if you don't it's good information. i am going to try some AA 1680 and some Lil-Gun soon.

Last edited:
Update: I got a range report from my father in law. I went with 20 grains of Lil Gun, and he was extremely happy with the results. I didn't get a lot of details from him, but he says that particular load is an excellent copy of the factory Hornady LEVERevolution ammo. He says group size and POI were indistinguishable between the two.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back