What would you get...

Seebass

I've got $500 to spend.

I go overnight truck (coyote) hunting 3-4 times a year plus deer hunting every couple of years for a week or so. The truck is uncomfortable and can get cold up at altitude during the 2-3 night coyote hunts I go on. I've never been able to get a good nights rest while truck camping/hunting and I don't want to bother with a tent.

With that said... I am looking at the Canvas Cutter Dominator (bundle) bedroll for those multiple night outings.

https://canvascutter.com/bed-rolls/?gcli...EgIxWfD_BwE#dom

There are also a couple of other things I've never owned that I think would come in handy if I used the $500 towards those items.

As a reloader I have never owned a chronograph. I am looking at the MagnetoSpeed sporter to help dial in and get info on the loads I use.

https://www.amazon.com/MagnetoSpeed-Sporter-Barrel-Mount-Chronograph/dp/B00VTZXF8Y

Nor have I ever owned a rangefinder! Not sure on the brand or model but somewhere within the $500 combined range with the chronograph.

Help me out here! With the options laid out what do you think is the more essential item/items to buy?

I'd probably go with the sleep system. I'm more inclined to spend money on gear that enhances the overall hunting experience. Sure, the chronograph will be fun, and may help you develop slightly better ammo, but based on your posts here, I'd say your loads are good enough for coyote killing! You'll probably get more out of a good night's sleep so you can hold steady for that longer shot than you'll get out of that velocity data. Of course, you could get the Dominator and then an inexpensive Beta Chrony to play with. I've got one and it seems to work pretty well for less than $150.

Chrono's are a necessity for a hand loader, as there are few ways to get that needed data. Rangefinders are nice, but there are ways for you to overcome that obstacle. Warmth while sleeping is a must, but again, there are ways to overcome them.

So my vote would be for the chrono/rangefinder option. In terms of the rangefinder, I run a SIG Kilo 1250 and love it. It's light, small and won't break the bank but can go out to 1,000.

Originally Posted By: GCI'd go sleep system first, rangefinder and then chronograph. In that order.

I somehow overlooked the rangefinder option in the OP, but I would agree with GC's recommendation. Be warm and comfy sleeping first. Save another $500 and get a good rangefinder and chrono in the next pass. This is coming from a guy who has reloaded for 25 years and just shot over a chrono for the first time last summer, so take it for what it's worth. I love the rangefinder for big game hunting, but I rarely use it predator calling except to range a dead one out of curiosity.

Carlos, I do quite a bit of truck camping. As far as comfort goes the first thing you need is a premium quality air mattress. If not sleeping in the back of a truck then a good cot is a must also. I use the cabelas outfitter bed roll that is half the price of the of the canvas cutter. I've woke up on more than one occasion with frost on it. Been using mine for 10 years now with 0 complaints.

I've got a pretty decent sleep system, for most weather.

Cabela's fat-boy, I mean XL, cot.

That cot is wide enough to fit this very comfortable sleeping pad. The pad also works great in the back of a truck or even on solid earth if the weather is dry.

And 15-year old Coleman sleeping bag a lot like this one.

Or, you might take a look at the Kodiak Swag, a 1-person tent/sleep system that, when coupled with a good sleeping bag, could be just the ticket for solo overnighters. I've got three Kodiak tents and can attest to their high quality and durability. Get the Swag, use the sleeping bag you already have, and you'll have nearly enough leftover for a decent rangefinder!

See, we're here to help. It's fun spending another guy's money.
smile.gif

Thanks for the time and recommendations!

I too was on the Sleep system, Range finder then Chrono ladder of purchases. It's just nice hearing other opinions on essential gear from experienced hunters.

I ordered the Canvas Cutter last night.

A bonus was finding a 10% off code from Hidden Instincts just before I placed the order. Code HI10 if you are interested.

Double Bonus!!

My wife is very vigilant in checking sales prices after we buy larger items at any of the big box stores. Well, yesterday there was a one day sale at HD and our recently bought patio furniture was on blowout!

We got an additional $300 off the set in a price match!! Thank you HD!!

Again thanks for the time and recommendations!

I'd look at a small tent and a good cot. I spent many miserable nights sleeping on the ground. A good cot and a warm sleeping bag will make for a lot better hunt.

Or trick out a van, mine has high clearance, positraction, solar system for the back end, regular furnace out of a vanagon, very comfortable bunk. Just pull off the road and crawl in the back and stay cozy. I stay sometimes for months on the hunting/fishing road, it even has built in fishing rod racks and locking gun rack.

I also have a good airmatress, a minus -30 sleeping bag and a little tent if we get into the back country. I've spent more than one night sleeping under my canoe or in a small tent in sub-zero weather in northern WI/MN while deer hunting and trapping.

Last edited:
Some good advice already here from experience.
The canvas roll is good, I prefer a good air mattress(Thermarest)and always have a heavy wool blanket. It can go under or over for a faster warmup or both. Amazing when you think the bag is enough and the blanket comes in. misjudging temps at high elevation is common.
A good rangefinder is great and can be used as a monocular quietly on stand. I have had a leica for years, good glass too.
Beta chrony is convenient, I have used Beta chrony my whole life.
I agree-importance in this order and have done this from -15 to +115 for extended stays.

Back