Black prairie dogs

Michael Sears

I recently went to Wyoming to hunt PDs with a couple friends. We were hunting a big town that we have hunted for several years when we spotted three black Prairie Dogs. I shot one that was DRT and my friend shot one that made it down a hole. When we were done for the day we drove over to check out the black dogs and discovered there hole went into coal veins. So we really did shot coal black PDs.

You should have taken pictures and simply neglected to mention the coal veins. I would be jealous of a melanistic prairie dog for sure.

I shot a black one several years ago. A lucky 100 yard kill with my Ruger 22/45 while taking a short walk from the truck. When I found him his fur was not black but his skin was. He was ate up with mange. I did that poor guy a favor I guess. Only one I saw like that but I'm sure there are plenty more.

I hope you told the land owner, he could probably use the money.

In 1988, I took a city boy with me shooting p. dogs up in Eagle Butte, SD. Ranchers would gather early every morning at the local diner and talk about local politics and such.

Well, one of these ole boys got to talking to my city slicker friend about how p. dogs drink water. My friend made the comment that he had never seen a p. dog drink water while we were shooting along a river. The old rancher told my friend that the p.dogs burrowed all the way till they hit water. My friend was amazed! The ole boy asked my friend if he had ever seen a black dog, and my friend said that he had never seen a black dog. Then the old rancher told my friend that sometimes the p.dogs would hit oil, and that is where the black p. dogs come from!

Last edited:
Back