Issues with zereoing.

bmgreen91

Hi, I have a Ruger M77 Mark II with a Sight mark Photon. The Ruger M77 requires Ruger specific rings, but the rings did not give the appropriate eye relief for the optic. I found a rail that was specifically made for the Ruger M77 and it works great. After I got everything mounted I went to sight in the gun, and its shooting 12 inches high, and 4-6 inches to the right. There is no adjustment left on the scope. Has anyone had this issue, and if so what did you find solved the problem?

I did go back through and take the who assembly apart, and used lock tight, and made sure all screws where tightened down equally. I have yet to shoot it since, but I highly doubt that would account for 12 inches. Thank you in advance for all info given.

Last edited:
Yes it is a sloped rail. I thought the same thing, but I went back and watched the instructional video on how to mount the rail, and I do indeed have it installed correctly.

I'm not sure on how much adjustment, as I don't have the scope in my hands currently. But I have completely maxed out the adjustment vertically and horizontally. I currently have Hawke rings on the gun now, I wouldn't say they are high quality rings, but I wouldn't say they are junk. Just my opinion but I wouldn't think the rings alone would cause a 12 inch difference. Then again I am no expert.

I run into this once in a while. Its possible with the rail adapter and your rings, that it has your scope up pretty high and if your scope has 1/8" clicks, your using all them up. Lower rings might help. I have even had to use scopes with 1/4" clicks to get zeroed.

Originally Posted By: bmgreen91 After I got everything mounted I went to sight in the gun, and its shooting 12 inches high, and 4-6 inches to the right. There is no adjustment left on the scope.

At what distance ?

100 yards. Last night I put the laser bore site back in the gun, and now after re doing all the mounts and making sure all screws are even, I can now get my crosshairs on the laser. I find it hard to believe that going back through everything fixed the problem, but I guess I will find out when I take it to the range on my days off. Fingers crossed!

I have the same gun, the rail I'm sure takes into account that the front and rear mounting points for the rings are at different heights. I put Ruger rings (high for the front and extra high for the rear, these may be swapped, I can't remember for certain) on mine and I had to lap the rings with some serious grit to get the scope to mount decent. I'm not sure that the way the rail or rings mount to the gun is very precise since the teeth are not very wide so there is room for slop and misalignment.

yes I am using a Weig-A-Tinny rail. I am now using standard rings. I think I may have it dialed in, I will find out when I take it to the range tomorrow. If there is still a issue I believe I may need two different size rings like somebody above mentioned.

I went through [beeep] trying to zero a Sightmark Photon. I shimmed, but the shim was so thick it was really hokie. I tried a 20 moa rail and still could not zero. I finally got it with the 20 moa rail and Burris XTR rings (the full set with the moa inserts). Study the ring height necessary very carefully. Burris has a unique way of measuring ring height.

Originally Posted By: jspencerI have the same gun, the rail I'm sure takes into account that the front and rear mounting points for the rings are at different heights. I put Ruger rings (high for the front and extra high for the rear, these may be swapped, I can't remember for certain) on mine and I had to lap the rings with some serious grit to get the scope to mount decent. I'm not sure that the way the rail or rings mount to the gun is very precise since the teeth are not very wide so there is room for slop and misalignment.

Does your turrets still work? This would put the scope tube in a bind wouldn't it?

Looks like Photon is 0.11 click = mil, adjustment range 9-12 mil depending on model. I'm not a math guy, but that doesn't sound like much for inches of range. May need Burris signature rings or windage adjustable rings.

Last edited:
It's a 30 mm tube and the rail you added should be picatinny style rail.
https://www.swfa.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=burris+signature+rings
Burris Signature rings have a plastic insert that holds the scope these inserts can be purchased in plus or minus MOA sizes and allows you to alter this. Most scopes have faily limited amount of adjustment some have a lot like 100 moa of adjustment. I cant find how much you scope has .
https://www.swfa.com/sightmark-6-12x50-photon-rt-digital-nv-30mm-rifle-scope.html this is the specs that I can find.

Back