New to suppressors looking for a recommendations for a 243

Budget will determine a lot.
SS or Ti,
Caliber Specific or Overbore,
Direct thread or QD,
Baffle stack or Monocore.
All of the above directly affect performance and price.

I've had the best experience so far with the Varminter 4.0 .30 cal from Dakota Silencer. It's made by Mack bros. They just changed the name of the Varminter to Banish. It's the same suppressor. I have some other brands and they all work, just not quite as well. Most of the leading brands will give you decent suppression. Some are a tad better but they all work well. I'd recommend going with a Ti tube to get the weight down That will help you with POI issues that some have. I don't have any POI shift with the Varminter and I use it on a 6 mm host.

I would defiantly get a titanium one they are lighter by a fair amount. Also would just get a 30cal mag rated one that’s ay if you ever change your mind or already have bigger mags you can shoot it on there. I didn’t get a magnum rated can for my first one and now I’m going to get another one that is mag rated. Once you shoot surpressessed you will want to shoot everything surpressed. That’s my experience.

I've had occasion to call BATFE about my order status and they say 9 months from receipt at their place. My experience is that it's about a month or so longer than that. I'd figure on 10-11 months from sending the paperwork to getting the suppressor. It takes some time for them to send the stamp after approval and that can be a couple of weeks sometimes. The whole process is like pouring molasses on a cold day. It takes a long time to get done, but the results are sweet. Once you've started using a suppressor, you won't want to go back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1loboI've had the best experience so far with the Varminter 4.0 .30 cal from Dakota Silencer. It's made by Mack bros. They just changed the name of the Varminter to Banish. It's the same suppressor. I have some other brands and they all work, just not quite as well. Most of the leading brands will give you decent suppression. Some are a tad better but they all work well. I'd recommend going with a Ti tube to get the weight down That will help you with POI issues that some have. I don't have any POI shift with the Varminter and I use it on a 6 mm host.

Do you care to share what cans you have compared the 4.0 to?

I also have an Omega 300 which doesn't work nearly as well. It was disappointing. I have friends that I have shot with that have a Sig Saur 762, a Sandman S, and an AAC 762 SD. None of the are quite as quiet as the Varminter. It's better than most. They are all good working suppressors, just not quite as nice to my ear. I have a TBAC Ultra 9 waiting on paperwork that I have high hopes for but that's still a few months away from being available to me. I think most of the suppressor manufacturers have good product. They've all been at the game long enough to get their stuff working pretty well. It sure has been hard for me to try to sort out the better ones. There just isn't that much good comparative data available. Too many variables in the way the sounds are evaluated.

Years ago I was told right here to buy a Specwar 7,62.
That is what I did, I works with my AR10/243 & 308.
In fact everything from 22 rimfires to 308.
Never had to use an adjustable gas block.

SilencerCo Harvester, it performs great on my .243 (pleasant tone) and the anchor brake does work. Great can for the money. If you want to spend more, the TBAC Ultra series is where I'd go.

One of our Thunder Beast Ultra series in 6.5 would be your best option for optimal suppression.

I've shot the 4.0 side by side with an Ultra 9. The Ultra 9 meters a few dB better

Last edited:
I have a SRTArms shadow XL TI that I love also have a silencerco spectwar that is awesome on my AR and a silencerco omega it was okay on my AR. The spectwar is a lot quieter than the omega. Haven’t tried the omega yet on my 308 the srt is on that.

Luna, I have a Dead Air Sandman-L . Like it a lot and no regrets. Their QD system itself was a big plus for me when I was deciding on which brand I liked best. I’ve put it on a .223 AR and a .308 bolt. Suppression on the .223 is what you’d expect for super sonic and for the .308 it is a pretty good difference to me. Didn’t change the accuracy , but I’m talking punching paper for fun with good groups and not worrying about serious grouping testing. As for a .243, I think it would be a very nice setup. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: jdemockoMy buddy just got one in 4 months???

Brother in law sent his PW in end of June, I received the approved 4 mid Sept! Just over 2.5 Months, quickest I've seen in since I first started doing this over a decade ago.

2-4 months ??? Now tell me how this is right ! I just read one of the guys has been over 400 days and waiting ! My check was cashed 7/3/19 and waiting.

This whole ATF paperwork smells !!! There has to be someone accountable to the tax payers since it’s a government agency. If we did our jobs like this we would be unemployed ! Months to a year or better is disgusting !!!

Last edited:
Back