Recommendations on good 22-250 coyote ammo?

Luna

Looking for opinions and recommendations on a good 22-250 coyote loads.....i have a Howa 1500 22-250 and want to get a good accurate bullet. I have used Winchester varmint X bullets in my .223 and .204 and they are good rounds but looking for something different

I don't know what bullet is in the Winchester White box but it is a 45gr HP and it has shot well in every 22-250 I've tried it in. It might not match specific handloads but across the board quite accurate. I has been pretty fur friendly also if you stay away from the edges.

Every rifle has a mind of it's own on what it prefers so I'd buy a sampling of different brands in the bullet weights you want to use.

Originally Posted By: reb8600What is accurate in my gun may not be in yours. Best thing you can do is buy some and try it.

Very true!

The White box stuff has shot decent in many rifles for me and ok on fur.
Remington Accutip has shot very well in all my rifles for coyotes 50 gr gets them but can be messy. Many at 2-300 yds and more.

Remington 55gr. Softpoint is a pretty solid choice for factory ammo in my opinion. Might not be the fur friendliest at times but it'll kill them.

Originally Posted By: skinneyTry Hornady's with a 50 grain V-max.

I've shot some of this stuff in my 22-250 and it actually shoots pretty well.

52 gr. Speer FBHP at 3250 fps. Don't know what it would do at max speed on a coyote. At 3250 fps I get one hole and drops them. Haven't shot any over 100 yards with it. Rudy

Rudy, I use the same bullet in a lot of my rifles for coyotes, even at full 22-250 speeds it acts the same way, little hole in, doesn't come out. dead coyote.

I think he was looking for factory loaded ammo.

I load 55 gr Nosler Ballistic tips that chronograph around 3950 fps out of my gun. I wouldn't recommend the combination as fur friendly but on most of the coyotes I've killed with it, the fur only has an entrance hole.
Every gun is different in what it will shoot well. The only way to know for sure is to shoot it on paper to see what your gun likes.

Quote:I load 55 gr Nosler Ballistic tips that chronograph around 3950 fps out of my gun.

Wow, that is slightly faster than my 22-250 AI. What powder are you using? Barrel length?

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: tripod3The White box stuff has shot decent in many rifles for me and ok on fur.

And cheap too.

Not anymore. Use to be. Around here its $32 and tax. I remember when you could get it for half that. I use to buy it just for the brass.But it usually does shoot good.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiWow, that is slightly faster than my 22-250 AI. What powder are you using? Barrel length?

39 gr of Hodgdon CFE 223. The 26" barrel I'm sure helps.

I shoot a lot of 50-52 gr bullets in my 22-250's. I can see 3900 with cfe 223 with those. Anyone ran cfe through 21-22" suppressed barrels? Don't really need another partial pound of powder sitting around because velocity not any higher than Varget or h4895. For good factory coyote 22-250 ammo, Nosler 55 bt or the white box Winchester.

Last edited:
Back