what speed should I get

wicka

loading a rem 223 with a 26" bartlein barrel, Hornady 75 bthp lapua brass, 205m primers 23.4 varget powder. oal right at 2.268, which I think is just off the lands, have been running about 2800 and I think this is a little slow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reaper4Knowing which bullet you are using might help

woops forgot that, Hornady 75 bthp added to above
thanks

That seems about right to me for Varget.

I think you are in good shape.

There are powders that will drive that bullet faster if you need more speed. I would leave it alone if you are getting good day to day groups though.

I have had real good luck with that bullet and AR-Comp, H4895 and IMR XBR 8208. FYI... Those are also the only powders i have tried with that bullet.

It sounds about right. Varget is not noted for velocity but can be very accurate. If its grouping good I'd be happy around 2800 fps.

Keep in mind that reloading manuals show results with whatever lot of powder, barrel, and other factors at the time of testing. And, velocities posted online by other shooters are subject to b.s. factor just like standing at the range talking with someone.
For some reason, maybe its my chronograph, but I NEVER get as high of velocities as some people on the forums do.

If you are shooting well with what you have why change it.

Coyotes don't care if they are killed at 2800 feet per second or 3000 feet per second. Dead is dead no matter how slow or fast the bullet travels.

Originally Posted By: wickaloading a rem 223 with a 26" bartlein barrel, Hornady 75 bthp lapua brass, 205m primers 23.4 varget powder. oal right at 2.268, which I think is just off the lands, have been running about 2800 and I think this is a little slow.

Not knowing case capacity or outside temperature you are just below pmax. Should be a good load. If not seating depth adjustment should tune it in.

Back