Lead free 20 practical

terrace

Does anybody have experience/data on leadfree bullets in 20 practical ?
I have 32 grn nosler bullets, new LC brass, imr 4198, RL10X, plenty of benchmark and a assortment of primers. 26" 11 twist pac nor
Thanks

Last edited:
I have shot a lot of the 24grn NTX bullets in my 20 Prac with good results. Relatively mild charge of H4198. Shooting mixed brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers, getting good accuracy and terminal results. Definitely don't have the terminal performance as traditional bullets on varmints, but still does pretty good.

Originally Posted By: obaroI have shot a lot of the 24grn NTX bullets in my 20 Prac with good results. Relatively mild charge of H4198. Shooting mixed brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers, getting good accuracy and terminal results. Definitely don't have the terminal performance as traditional bullets on varmints, but still does pretty good.

The people I've talked to who are shooting the 24gr NTX bullet said they don't expand as much as say a V-max bullet does so they're less explosive on small critters. Has this been your experience as well??

We have had very good results with the lead free Honady 35 gr NTX bullets out of 223s and 223-AI rifles. They pop squirrels pretty dang good at 3700 fps and higher.

The problem with 22 cal and smaller lead free bullets is, these bullets can be pretty long for their weight so you may need a faster twist barrel to stabilize them. That's why the bullet manufacturers make the small caliber lead free varmint bullets so light so they will stabilize in most of the rifles.

If the Nosler 32 gr lead free bullets don't group good at near max speed try the 24 gr Hornady NTX bullets, they will be easier to stabilize.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: obaroI have shot a lot of the 24grn NTX bullets in my 20 Prac with good results. Relatively mild charge of H4198. Shooting mixed brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers, getting good accuracy and terminal results. Definitely don't have the terminal performance as traditional bullets on varmints, but still does pretty good.

The people I've talked to who are shooting the 24gr NTX bullet said they don't expand as much as say a V-max bullet does so they're less explosive on small critters. Has this been your experience as well??

Well, just my opinion, they expand/come apart pretty well, but they don't deliver the 'thump' that their leaded counterparts do. Mind you, this is just my theory based on my own observations and experience, but since they have less mass there is less energy transfer at similar velocity, but also, where they are a compressed metallic POWDER that is designed to disintegrate on impact the energy transfer doesn't go as 'deep' into the critter it hits. I have shot a lot of prairie dogs with them and there is no doubt they are killers, but just don't seem to do it quite as convincingly as the lead bullets. Seems to me that they come apart 'too much' if that makes any kinda sense. I know that on about 15-20 coyotes I shot with them that I could almost count on a runner if I shot it in the boiler room. They wouldn't get too far, but I don't remember any DRT's either.

Unless you have to shoot lead free bullets I would stick with lead bullets. You can shoot heavier lead bullets with higher Ballistic Coefficients so they will have more energy.

I have to shoot lead free bullets. I don't mind shooting ground squirrels with 35 gr or 40 gr lead free bullets but for shooting coyotes I want 50 gr to 62 gr lead free bullets out of my 22-250 or my 243 Win.

If I have to shoot lousy bullets at coyotes, I prefer to shoot heavier lousy bullets at coyotes not light lousy bullets. I had a 1-8" twist barrel put on my 22-250 just so I could shoot heavier lead free bullets at coyotes.

Thanks for the replies I am in north Santa Barbara county ( condor zone ) so I've had to shoot lead free for some time now
Just re barreled a 17 Remington to 20 practical due to lack of lead free .17 bullets. I shoot 26 gr. and 32 gr. In 204 Rugers and vartargs. Just not sure where to start with the longer lead free bullets in 20 practical

Originally Posted By: terraceThanks for the replies I am in north Santa Barbara county ( condor zone ) so I've had to shoot lead free for some time now
Just re barreled a 17 Remington to 20 practical due to lack of lead free .17 bullets. I shoot 26 gr. and 32 gr. In 204 Rugers and vartargs. Just not sure where to start with the longer lead free bullets in 20 practical

What twist rate is your 20 Practical?

I just searched for 20 cal lead free bullets and there is not much of a selection for them either. Barnes in 26 gr and Hornady NTX in 24 gr. I hope your rifle will stabilize the Nosler 32 gr lead free bullets.

The lead free bullets really suck when you have to use them in most of the 22 caliber and smaller caliber rifles.

A big percentage of 22 caliber rifles that everybody shot 50 to 55 gr lead bullets out of you have to shoot 35 to 40 gr lead bullets because the barrel twists are to slow.

For hunting in California if you want 22-250 or 220 Swift performance I would buy a 243 Win and shoot the lead free varmint 55 gr and 62 gr bullets out of a 243 Win.

If your going to have a slow twist rifle that will only shoot 35 gr to 40 gr 22 cal bullets a 223 will shoot these light bullets at 3700 fps to 4000 fps.

If you want to buy a 223 Rem rifle for hunting coyotes get one with a 1-8" or 1-9" twist barrel so you can shoot the 50 to 55 gr lead free bullets..

After looking at the 17 cal and 20 cal lead free bullet selection I wouldn't buy a 17 cal or 20 cal rifle to hunt coyotes with lead free bullets.

Originally Posted By: MerditNot sure when they started making them, but Hornady has 17cal NTX.

On Hornady's web-site they show the 17 cal NTX bullet as a NEW bullet. It only weighs 15.5 gr.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: MerditNot sure when they started making them, but Hornady has 17cal NTX.

On Hornady's web-site they show the 17 cal NTX bullet as a NEW bullet. It only weighs 15.5 gr.

Right. Not endorsing it for coyotes. Just saying it exists.

If you shoot in a lead free area, and, you're shooting a .17 cal I'm not sure you have many other options but the 15.5gr NTX, do you??

Seems like there may be someone making a solid copper lathe turned bullet in 17 cal, but I am not sure of that. Lehigh maybe?

Derby. it's a 11 twist 26" barrel
B23. That's why I changed it to a .20 just not enough options
Obaro the reeds .17 bullet development was starting to show some promise but they stopped making them . I basically gave up before trying the Lehigh
I will mostly be shooting ground squirrel,rabbits. The nossler 32 gr shoot great in My 12 twist ruger mk ll and the cooper .204 will shoot them but is more accurate with the 26 varmint grenedes
The hornady .17 ntx 15.5 gr. Shoot well in my 17 hornet
I'm hoping to get to the range next weekend and break in the new barrel

Back