Bullet choice

Gsjcky

New member, first post. Haven’t called coyotes in years, working to [beeep] much, now I’ve found the time, and want to get back into it. Used a 243 in the past, and was very pleased with performance on Yotes.
Using a 22-250 now, and would like some opinions on bullet selection. Using a TC Encore, 26 inch barrel, 1-12 twist. Don’t care about hides, just want a bullet that will hit coyotes hard from any angle, and if I do my part, will produce DRT yote.
I have some 55 gr Hornady sp on hand,and that’s where I will start, but looking for some options. I plan on using Varget powder, with CCI primers.
Thx.

55g hornady sp is a GREAT choice. Best accuracy will be at a top end of Varget with some serious speed. Start off shooting three shot groups at 36.0g and work up in .5g increments. You should hit a home run! If you can, educate yourself on seating depth to the lands and how to measure it accurately.

Keep the copper out of your barrel.

55 hornady should work fine. I've never used varget in a 22/250 so can't help there. Otherwise choices are pretty endless. I use alot of nosler products. 50 to 60 grain should work fine.

I’ve always had good luck with plain Jane Hornady bullets, and the price is always right. I’ve been shooting more Speer bullets lately, has anyone used the 52 gr HP on yotes? I know back in the day, that’s was a popular bullet.
I use varget because it’s not affected by temperature as much as other powders. I’ve always had good luck with it.
Thank you for your input.

I'm a big fan of the 52gr Speer HP varmint bullet. I use it in everything from 222 Rem(my favorite for this one) to 22-250, (again a favorite). For me it drops them right there and is very pelt friendly.

The 55grain softpoint from just about any maker works fine but I tend to get big exits from them, not a problem for you. In CO it is had to understand leaving $70.+ laying on the ground when they are prime.

Stick with the 243 if you dont care about pelts although if using the right bullet it can be fur friendly.

In 22-250 use what shoots best. No re as son the 55gr hornady wont shoot well. I like 55gr HPBT Sierra Gamekjngs myself. 52gr Speer HPs are dirt cheap and shoot well. Reportedly they do very well on coyotes and are fur friendly.

Sierra #1390's and Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips both shoot good enough to make people call you a liar when you tell them about your target.

On game performance exceeds all expectations.

#1390's are less expensive, and have a terrible BC.
Nosler BT's are more expensive and have an excellent BC.

Neither are finicky with seating depth.

In my 220 Swift, my go to coyote bullet is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390). It hammers the coyotes and as a bonus is pretty fur friendly.

Haven't shot very many coyotes with them but I have been using the sierra 55 gn sp 1365. Been very happy with them with my 22 250. Been using AR comp 3750 FPS average and excellent accuracy.
J

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyoBullIn my 220 Swift, my go to coyote bullet is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390). It hammers the coyotes and as a bonus is pretty fur friendly.

This is the toughest of all 55g bullets till you get to the Speer 55g Gold dot. I shot the 55g BTHP in various rem 22/250's and AI's for years on coyotes, doe culling, and Javelina.

Last edited:
WyoBull turned me on to the 1390s for my 22-250. He shoots them in his swift and says they shoot excellent and almost never exit.

They shoot awesome out of my CZ550 Varmint Kevlar and just shred prairie dogs. I was expecting them to act more like a hunting bullet but nope. Very good Varmint/predator bullet.

Thank you , this is the kind of input I was hoping for. Sounds like I should try the Sierra 1390. New barrel should be here this week. Time to try something new

Back