22 Mag round for coyotes

Curiosity makes me ask a question. There have been countless posts that even led to arguments that the 223 was not enough gun to kill coyotes even though we all know or at least most of us know that a 223 will kill coyotes dead. But now it seems as though the 22 mag is plenty good enough to kill coyotes. Not a single person has said the 22 mag really isn't the best choice for taking coyotes. Instead, seems to me, just the opposite. Have I missed something?? Not that it matters to me what one hunts with as long as you hunt and enjoy it.

If you do the math, and I have, you'll see that a 100 yard shot with a 40gr 22 Mag has about the same exact impact velocity/energy as a 500 yard shot from a 40gr 223 Rem.

The generally accepted wisdom is a 22 Mag will work ok out to 75-100 yards but try to keep it under 50 yards... But anyone suggesting using a light 223 bullet out to 450-500 yards will get laughed at.

The overwhelming consensus here is the 223 only has an effective predator range of around 300 yards (which is several hundred fps faster than a 22 Mag at the muzzle).

People don't make no sense.

For most people it is far easier to place a bullet exactly where it is needed at 50 yards than 300 yards.

Originally Posted By: AWSFor most people it is far easier to place a bullet exactly where it is needed at 50 yards than 300 yards. That applies to EVERY cartrtidge in existance. Marksmanship aside, the general consensus here is that the 223 loses too much steam much past 300 yards to be a very reliable coyote gun (run offs, knockdown power, impact velocity), let alone 400 yards or 500 yards.

I finally got some new house projects done (built an archery range in the yard) and headed up to Silver City to try out the skeet range and get the 22 Mag on the paper. I'm a happy camper, 1 1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yards and it was pretty windy plus I pounded my shoulder with a hard butt-plated 12ga for fifty rounds before grabbing the rifle. It did like the 40gr Jacked HP's Winchesters. I brought a box of 45gr Plated hp's but at 100 yards it was about 8" pretty much a vertical spread only about 3" wide.

I'm pleased.

The Silver City range is a hoot, had a great time breaking clays with a bunch of old farts like myself, donuts and coffee between rounds. Great way to spend a Friday morning.

aws, your barrel may need a scrubbing with a brush after shooting those plated bullets, does not take many. I have tried plated bullets due to cost over the years, bore scope showed fouled barrel.

You are going to love how those Winchesters kill.

Good luck!

The cci 40 gr softpoint seems to be holding promise with good accuracy reports, and controlled expansion with good penetration for the round

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThe overwhelming consensus here is the 223 only has an effective predator range of around 300 yards (which is several hundred fps faster than a 22 Mag at the muzzle).

People don't make no sense.

I would never purposely hunt coyotes with the .22mag, yet if one
is dumb enough to give me a broad side shot at 75yd or less
when I'm hunting with the .22mag, he's gonna get shot.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend hunting coyotes with a .22 Mag. But, if I had one in my sights at 50 yards or under, I'd want my Win. 9422M to be loaded with CCI 40 gr. "Gamepoints".

all depends on the terrain you are hunting in. When your shots are 85 yards and under, you are hunting not too far from housing, mag is not a bad choice, 40g Win Hp, Ruger all weather

The federal refuge by my house is full of hogs, but you can only hunt them during an open season and only use whatever weapon is legal for that season. So archery deer season, you can hunt hogs with a bow, Turkey season you can hunt hogs with a shotgun, and so on. Deer season on the refuge ends in December, Squirrel season goes through the months of January and February, and you are allowed to shoot a shotgun or a rimfire rifle. My friends and i always go to the refuge with our 22 magnum rifles and hog hunt during this time. On calm days, we will sit on the ground against a tree, and on windy days we will walk very slow with the wind in our faces. We have killed hundreds of hogs with 22 magnums, and many of those have been BIG. We usually opt for a shot at the base of the ear, but many many have been killed with a shot to the lungs or heart. We all shoot different ammo, depending on what our rifle likes, but I’ve always had good luck with 40 grain Winchester. One of the other guys swears by the CCI T-N-T ammo. I’m not sure if they even make it still. We have a good time hunting the pigs with the rimfires.

Back