300 Blackout????

Luna

Whats y'alls opinion on this round is it good for coyotes? I'm debating on one for yote hunting.... my max shot i used my current AR is 300 yards max or would i be better off with another 556/223 ar?
Thanks for the info,opinions,and advice in advance

It's a poor choice for coyotes and a generally lame cartridge for hunting (and lame for pretty much everything else too).

Not a good choice imo. So many better choices which probably cost less to shoot as well. If you don't reload 223 / 556 is a no-brainer. If you want something with a little more Kahuna's you've got the 22 Nosler available. If you reload the doors even open wider. I think the poor man's hot rod is a 6 x 45 and step above that is a 6 x 6. 8

Last edited:
For 300 yards I agree there are better choices. I sure didn't take it prairie dog shooting!😂
However for less than 200 yards it is a great round. It uses pistol powder so short barrels work well. (My SBR with suppressor and thermal is awesome for hog hunting.)
I use 110gr Barnes bullets at 2400fps and i have never failed to make one shot kills on deer within 150 yards. Large exit hole as well. Works great on hogs and the coyotes I have shot off a deer stand sure didn't go anywhere. Perfect for my grandkids that are too small for a high powered rifle.
Also since it has become so popular it is not expensive to reload. You can check factory prices but I basically reload everything.

if you're shooting at 300 regularily... this probably isnt the best choice for you.

with the barnes 110 blacktips it will reach 300 - thats also within the window that it will still expand at... but the drop is pretty bad. you'll really need to learn your holdovers well.

for 200 and under, it'll get the job done nicely. and if you have to make the occasional 300 then its a good possibility. but again you'll need to be spot on with your distances and be able to adjust for the drop accordingly.

here's a trajectory chart with a 300 yd zero, which will give you a +/- 3" MPBR out to about 230 yds or so. as you can see though, once you're out past 200 it starts to drop pretty hard.

url]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmash
Also since it has become so popular it is not expensive to reload. You can check factory prices but I basically reload everything.

for cost effectiveness.. the blackout has always been a reloaders dream, for one simple reason - commonality. and it achieves this in several areas too!

it uses bullets from one of the most prolific sizes (.308") ever produced. options for putting holes in paper are nearly endless, although you need to be selective for hunting bullets.

its parent case is one of the most popular on the planet - 223/5.56. brass is cheap and plentiful. processed and formed 300 blk brass is basically the same price as once fired, processed, 223 is.

and finally - it uses "magnum pistol" powders. h110, w296, lilgun, 1680, 4227 - just to name a few of the more popular choices

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIt's a poor choice for coyotes and a generally lame cartridge for hunting (and lame for pretty much everything else too).

I disagree with that assessment. A couple of friends and I have all switched to .300BLK for use as truck guns. We all have cattle, and like to keep a rifle handy when we do daily pasture checks. When you catch a coyote out in the pasture, you generally have time for 2-3 shots on the fly, and the 300BLK does a really good job of planting them for a good follow-up shot. We're definitely seeing very few coyotes running off wounded, since we made the switch. Granted, it's a niche, but it fills that niche well. I also use my 300BLK for hunting areas where I know shots will be fairly short. I'd be willing to argue that 300 BLK is very effective out to 300 yards, as long as you're willing and able to use a little bit of elevation when you take your shot.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIt's a poor choice for coyotes and a generally lame cartridge for hunting (and lame for pretty much everything else too).

I agree. And I am one that drank the kool-aid. I still have one, it hasn't even had a scope on it in several years. There are FAR better choices for hunting, for truck guns, for just about anything. Unless you are shooting sub sonic suppressed, there is very little if anything redeeming about a 300BLK.

As far as reloading, yes there are lots of projectiles to choose from... at about double the cost of good 224 projectiles. Brass?, it will never be as cheap as once fired 223. Recently I saw someone was selling 1600pcs of 223 for like $50 shipped, that will never happen with 300blk.

I'll stick with my 17-223!

IF you are running subs, the ballistics suck a$$, and you will need a reference hold at 75 and a 100 with a 50 yard zero.
I have taken big game in high pressure area's with a 300 Blackout with subs, and utilizing head shots, which is amazing for stealth if you have a good load recipe and quality suppressor.

Coyote hunting is very very tough, with the Blackout and subs, because Coyotes rarely stand still at a given distance you are zero'd at, your better off using a higher velocity with a much flatter trajectory.

Turn the volume up at 4:12 and listen for the shot. The round actually tore lungs out the other side of the Coyote and he was dead on his feet, but seconds later you can hear the follow up shot of the 22-250 suppressed for referencing the different suppression.

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIt's a poor choice for coyotes and a generally lame cartridge for hunting (and lame for pretty much everything else too).

Brass?, it will never be as cheap as once fired 223. Recently I saw someone was selling 1600pcs of 223 for like $50 shipped, that will never happen with 300blk.

sorry i misspoke - i meant to say once fired processed 223/556 brass - not raw, shoveled off the ground nato brass.

Originally Posted By: skinneyTurn the volume up at 4:12 and listen for the shot. The round actually tore lungs out the other side of the Coyote and he was dead on his feet...
Hardly "dead on his feet". You mean as he nipped and spun? And spun some more? And then lept and kept on spinning and spinning. Uh, it's still spinning. Until someone else put it down 15 seconds later as it was still spinning? That's not my style of hunting.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: skinneyTurn the volume up at 4:12 and listen for the shot. The round actually tore lungs out the other side of the Coyote and he was dead on his feet...
Hardly "dead on his feet". You mean as he nipped and spun? And spun some more? And then lept and kept on spinning and spinning. Uh, it's still spinning. Until someone else put it down 15 seconds later as it was still spinning? That's not my style of hunting.

NO, I said what I meant... dead on his feet. You ever shoot a Deer or Elk with a bow? Sometimes a double lung takes minutes, yes "minutes" not seconds to expire... I've shot Coyotes with a 260 behind the shoulder, just like this one, and they've ran 200 yards before they tip over.

Originally Posted By: skinneyNO, I said what I meant... dead on his feet. You ever shoot a Deer or Elk with a bow? Sometimes a double lung takes minutes, yes "minutes" not seconds to expire... I've shot Coyotes with a 260 behind the shoulder, just like this one, and they've ran 200 yards before they tip over.

Kinda sounds like you're suggesting a 300 Blackout is about as effective as a bow... They both have similar terrible trajectories and you can expect animals to run off and eventually bleed out.
thumbdown.gif

I said what I meant too. Selecting and using a crappy cartridge that performs as shown in the video you posted is definately not my style of hunting.

Also, that may be the most expensive 300 Blackout ever built in the history of gunsmithing. Has to be pretty close. Interesting choice.

It looked pretty much dead to me! It died within 10' of the first shot? That's a dead/ not suffering coyote. Mission accomplished SD folks.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
Kinda sounds like you're suggesting a 300 Blackout is about as effective as a bow... They both have similar terrible trajectories and you can expect animals to run off and eventually bleed out.
thumbdown.gif

That's exactly what I'm saying. Did you happen to read my initial post? Reread it, I tell you the trajectory and as well as the hold over and reference points for hold with a 50 yard zero, very similar to using pins on a bow because of the slow velocity.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
I said what I meant too. Selecting and using a crappy cartridge that performs as shown in the video you posted is definately not my style of hunting.

This post wasn't about "your style" of hunting, it was about the 300 blackout, that of which I'm trying to give factual data based on experience. With video ta boot, which helps the OP make an even more educated decision.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGAlso, that may be the most expensive 300 Blackout ever built in the history of gunsmithing. Has to be pretty close. Interesting choice.

What's your point here? Is this a question, or an assumption, or do you want me to just tell you, yes, yes it's a very expensive build, and it was very fun, and it is very application specific.

Originally Posted By: SubpaRIt looked pretty much dead to me! It died within 10' of the first shot? That's a dead/ not suffering coyote. Mission accomplished SD folks.

Absolutely! I agree 100% There's always those who may not agree, but I would say we definitely get it done!

It's a good coyote and hog round out to 150 to 200 yards max. For much past 150 I'd rather have a .223 myself. The .300 Blackout is a good cartridge you just have to know its limits. The bullet you're shooting in it makes a big difference too. V-Max in the 300 Blackout suck. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

I've never shot subsonic ammunition at anything other than a target that wasn't living so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Back