Proper Scope Mounting on Rimfire

DannoBoone

What is a good way to do this without the scope canting?

One can level CF rifles using the scope mount but where there
is none, what is a good way to level the rimfire scope?

Clamp your rings on the rifle, take off the top ring and lay your level across the bottom ring and lock the stock/action down when level(I use my bench rest) set your scope in and check to see if the vertical crosshair is straight up and down. I used to set up on the kitchen table and use the corner of the neighbors house, now I have a 50ft long garage and use the edge of the garage door or out the window and any vertical pole or house corner.

I have a Level Level that Mr.Potterfield sells and it works pretty good on Remingtons. Others I just use the levels and go off the base's on the rifle, or the rings if I can't get on the base. Then use the other level on the scope. Not going to say its totally right, but sometimes I mount the scope and just barely snug the scope rings, then turn the scope to its lowest setting, look through the scope and try to optically center the crosshair and the centerline of the action. Its not very professional but it works..

Thanks guys.

When reading to level across the bottom ring, the light was
turned on. At 67, I should have thought of that a LONG time
ago!
crazy.gif

Mount scope but don't tighten rings. Shoulder rifle, turn scope until level and tighten rings. Shoulder rifle again and eyeball crosshairs as sometimes scope will rotate when ring screws are tightened. Works for me.

Regards,
hm

Great! Bubble in level goes one way on top of one lower ring,
the other way on the other ring. The rings were a pair of no
names that were laying around. Time to go RF ring shopping!

Burris signature rings are probably the way to go. I have them
on most of the CF's.

I put the barrel tip on my toe, tilt the gun up slightly til the crosshair changes color(usually orange) and align it with center of bore.
Or you can sight through scope into a mirror, rotate until crosshair aligns with center of bore.

Back