I’m wanting a rifle in 204 Ruger. Which to choose?

What is the twist rate of the CZ American in .204?

I have a RAP in .204 with a 1:12 twist and have tried everything
from 32gr to 39gr. After off & on testing for four years, I
would recommend it to NO ONE. Granted, it's just one rifle.

I have a CZ .22WMR that shoots lights out with Horn 30gr Vmax
and have been very tempted to get one in .204.

I believe all factory made off the shelf guns chambered in 204 Ruger are 12 twist barrels. Maybe some of the higher end Coopers in 204 have a faster twist, but I think they may be 12tw also.

All I ever shot in my CZ 527 Varmint 204 Ruger was the Hornady 32gr Vmax ammo and it shot lights out as well as seems to do a number on coyotes. I've heard mixed reviews on how well the 40gr Vmax ammo shoots in the 12tw barrels but I think it would be marginal at best from a 12tw unless you were at pretty high elevation.

It's a little surprising they don't put at least an 11tw barrel on these factory made 204's but I suppose the real reason is when they were designing the new 204 it was all about promoting their 4200+fps and not so much about them being able to, effectively, shoot heavier bullets like the 40's.

Usually, when you hear of guys rebarreling guns to one of the popular 20cals like 204, 20 Prac, 20 Tac, 20-222, or even 20VT, they generally go with at least an 11tw barrel and some even fast than that.

That’s what I shoot is the CZ527 American in .204 Ruger. Cut a couple inches off a while back and threaded it for a Suppressor. 20” now. Still runs a 35 grain Berger around 3800 fps. Nice balanced little fur rifle for sure....

Good Hunting Chad

Remington model 7 Predator if you could find one. I have 2, a 17 Fireball & 204 Ruger and sold 1 a 22-250. All 3 shot well, under 1" at 100 yards 5 shot groups.

Barrels on varmint rifles are consumed by shooting. It is nice to purchase a base platform where you can order a barrel and a barrel nut without sending in your rifle.

Remingtons have a special option, you can take out the spacer and get longer OAL.

Savages just shoot in great stocks.

If you choose an action with a metric threads, gunsmiths to thread them maybe more scarce or charge a few bucks extra to change over the gears in their lathe.

Also, when you re barrel, choose a reamer with a much shorter freebore than SAAMI for longer barrel life.

That is why I have a TC Dimension. Can change barrels or cartridge in 2-3 minutes(no headspacing needed). Rifle is within a few clicks changing barrels(keeping same scope on receiver). And the 204 barrel is 1/10 twist, the 223 and 22-250 1/12.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI have a pair of 527 204's and a Rem 700 SPS 204 varmint. The CZ's shoot so well it's almost obscene. That set trigger makes it shoot like a dream. I've worked the 700 and it shoots almost as well even with the Tupperware stock.

The CZ guns are definitely lighter and one of mine has gorgeous wood. I would give one of them the nod.

Greg I second this. I have a 527 in 204 also and the set trigger is sweet.

I stopped in the LGS today and looked at a CZ they had on the shelf. It was chambered in 300 blackout but it was a very nice feeling Rifle.

No mention so far of the Ruger Hawkeye in 204. I have one in 243 and it is my fav, I love the big port and fixed magazine ,any other fans of the Hawkeye on here ?

Originally Posted By: LunaHave you looked into the howa 1500? I have one in 204 ruger and its a accurate and awesome rifle
Ill 2nd the howa! I have a 1500 classic laminate varminter in 204R and its awesome. +Athlon argos btr 8-34x56 = sub 1/2” groups at 100 yds with superformance 32 gr vmax. Took 18 prairie dogs with it last week (and another 5 with my hmr). Mine REALLY does not like the 40’s though. 2+” group with some key-holing. 45 gr softpoints group about 3/4 inch.

I also have a tc compass in 204. Shoots the 40’s really well (3/4” at 100). The 1:10 twist is great for them, and it is a lot lighter than my howa. Im thinking of offing it for something else in the 6mm to 6.5mm range though.

I’ve got a Remington 700 sps varmint .204. I know what everyone says about Remington nowadays but this gun is awesome. I wouldn’t shy away from buying another one. HSM w/ 35gr Berger’s. Two thumbs up for sure. I’ve shot a lot of Groundhogs and Fox with that gun.

Last edited:
I have quite a few Tikka's and would highly recommend them. The only thing is I think the only option they have for the 204 anymore is in the compact model with the shortly barrel and stock.

Friends of mine shoot Remingtons, they are super happy.

Have a plan, work the plan. Barrels wear out, plan ahead. A Remage or savage pre fit saves boo coo bucks on a re barrel.

Last edited:
Back