I’m wanting a rifle in 204 Ruger. Which to choose?

Rambo

I’m sitting here looking at guns on the internet and wouldn’t you know I am convinced I need a new one. I don’t want to break the bank and I’m not sold on one type of rifle over the other.

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Remington and they also make it in the 204 Ruger. I am extremely impressed with the rifle in quality and how it shoots. I wish I would have discovered CZ 15 years ago. You should check them out.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Remington and they also make it in the 204 Ruger. I am extremely impressed with the rifle in quality and how it shoots. I wish I would have discovered CZ 15 years ago. You should check them out.

I just got through looking at their site. I have always heard great things about their guns. The prices aren’t bad either.

CZ's are very nice guns and the 204 is on a true small action, most others are built on a standard short action other than the Howa Mini which will be really a nice rig if they ever come out with a floor plate bottom metal or a flush mount mag. With a varmint weight barrel the CZ's doesn't weigh any more than a sporter barrel 700 or Savage.

I have a pair of 527 204's and a Rem 700 SPS 204 varmint. The CZ's shoot so well it's almost obscene. That set trigger makes it shoot like a dream. I've worked the 700 and it shoots almost as well even with the Tupperware stock.

The CZ guns are definitely lighter and one of mine has gorgeous wood. I would give one of them the nod.

Greg

I have a cz 527 in 222 and agree with the others. You will not be disappointed. I have 204 ruger in a TC Dimensionand it shoots lights out. Haven't missed a woodchuck yet..doesn't have a set trigger but man that stock is incredibly comfortable.. No adjustment necessary for scope height and is free floated..

The only 204 Ruger I’ve owned has been a CZ 527 Varmint model 204 Ruger but it was a very fine shooting little rifle. I sold it to a good friend of mine this past winter and he’s been slaying coyotes with it ever since. If I were in the market for another 204 Ruger, I’d look no further than another CZ 527 Varmint, they’re a great little gun and there just isn’t anything not to like about them. I’m sure someone will come along and complain about how the safety is backwards, compared to other guns, but I have multiple CZ527’s and it’s never been an issue to me.

If I was going to buy a factory rifle in 204 for a calling rifle, It would either be a CZ 527, a Tikka, or a Kimber Montana.

I have owned maybe 20 or more CZ rifles over the years and they all shot great. Still have 6 or more in different cartridges.

The OP hasn't really said what the 204 will be used for but.....the CZ is a fine little rifle and no real heavy for a varmint rifle. I had the American version and it was light and shot decent. I had a Savage heavy barrel and it shot tiny groups but it was a tank. Kinda need to decide what your going to use it for. It could make a difference in your choice.

I have a T/C Venture Predator in 204R. It shoots tiny groups with the 32 grain V-Max. Stock it has 1:10 twist so it can stabilize any of the 40 grain bullets. Everything else I have seen has a 1:12 twist in 204 Ruger.

I bought a Savage M12 in .204 not long after the caliber was introduced. I have killed many a ground squirrel and prairie dog with it. Couple of rock chucks too. Love it.

BUT...if buying a new .204 today I would just buy me the CZ 527 varmint and call it good. I have or have had 527's in .221, .17 Rem, .17 Hornet and .223 and all are astounding shooters. Not just good shooters but 5 shots touching at 100 yard shooters. When I go shooting our local ground squirrels other than a .22 rimfire I always take my .17 Hornet and my .221 Furball. Super accurate, super fun, and surprisingly good tosses on the rodents.

Find your self a used Tikka T3 They go for about 425.00 used and new around 600.00.They are very lite weight.You can get a good shooting heavy barreled savage for 450.00 new.Adjustable trigger,picatanny rail,threaded barrel.They are heavy but they shoot awesome.I think all the 204 shoot well something about the 20 caliber rifles.I purchased my Tikka T3 used 22 in barrel here for $400.00.I prefer 22in or 24 in barrel.There are a lot of 20in for sale at gun broker.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThe OP hasn't really said what the 204 will be used for but.....the CZ is a fine little rifle and no real heavy for a varmint rifle. I had the American version and it was light and shot decent. I had a Savage heavy barrel and it shot tiny groups but it was a tank. Kinda need to decide what your going to use it for. It could make a difference in your choice.

Gonna use it as a calling rifle on my deer lease and probably punching paper. It’s really more of a want than a need as I have other rifles that can do the job. It’s just a new gun itch I may have to scratch.

My Model 12 Savage HB has been in a pawn shop in Tulsa for two years. Its a hammer with 39 grain BlitzKings. They have it way over priced is why its not selling but it would make a great PD gun but not really one to carry. Its in a Boyds stock and is really heavy but if you were in town and had cash in hand, you never know they might make a deal. I've even considered trying to buy it back myself but hate paying more than I got for it when I traded it off. They are also a CZ dealer.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnottry a tikka t3.

While I prefer the CZ 527 Varmint in my 17 Remington, there is one other rifle I would consider in the Tikka line for a 204 Ruger and that is the Tikka T3X Lite. I think that would be a fine little calling rifle, I just really like the CZ 527 Varmint for my own personal preference.

I have had most rifles mentioned, after many Tikkas I can vouch for them and the T3x being worth it,especially the grip.

For a straight out of the box calling rifle it's hard not to like the CZ 527 American in .204. I have one and a Varmint model in 17 Rem. Both are great rifles but the American handles a bit better IMO. Plus it comes with rings (or it used to).

Last edited:
Back