Thermal Weapon Sight or Thermal Riflescope ?

Ernest49

Teaching mathematics for 33 years I understood one thing: you never finished learning. Looking at the Night Goggles Thermal Clip-Ons website that Tom Austin kindly pointed out to me, I read:

FLIR ....... PTS536 ........ Thermal Weapon Sight ......

Pulsar Thermion XM50 ........Thermal Riflescope ...........

So I ask you: what's the difference between "THERMAL WEAPON SIGHT" and "THERMAL RIFLESCOPE"?
Unfortunately, having not studied your language, I cannot understand the different nuances of the written language. Do they describe the same type of device? Or is there a substantial difference?

Pulsar calls all of their thermal Weapon mounted devices “thermal riflescope.” It doesn’t matter what form it has. Trail and Thermions all go by the same name.

The Thermion and the Flir PTS536 will be very similar in their function. It is simply 2 different companies using different terminology. However, as already mentioned, Pulsar changed the form of the Thermion to be more like a standard glass scope. This can be more conducive for people who may want to use it on bolt action rifles and/or use standard 30mm rings/bases.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Teaching mathematics for 33 years I understood one thing: you never finished learning. Looking at the Night Goggles Thermal Clip-Ons website that Tom Austin kindly pointed out to me, I read:

FLIR ....... PTS536 ........ Thermal Weapon Sight ......

Pulsar Thermion XM50 ........Thermal Riflescope ...........

So I ask you: what's the difference between "THERMAL WEAPON SIGHT" and "THERMAL RIFLESCOPE"?
Unfortunately, having not studied your language, I cannot understand the different nuances of the written language. Do they describe the same type of device? Or is there a substantial difference?

It's easy to understand the mixup because Pulsar has confused the issue with their terminology. They refer to their scanning units (monoculars) as Thermal imaging SCOPES. The word "Scope" in most hunting circles refers to a device that has a reticle and is mounted on a weapon.

If you look on the website they market the Accolade line as "Thermal Imaging Binoculars" so you would think that the terminology would follow logic and they would use the term "Thermal Imaging Monoculars" for the scanning units.

The breakdown in logic can probably be attributed to the translation from Russian to English terminology so if you ask a Liberal the reason for the confusion they will tell you it's Trumps fault.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Back