6mm Valkyrie.

Smudge

DTI can make an AR upper in 6mm Valkyrie, but I can't find the reloading dies.
Anybody know where to get reloading dies??
I called Hornady, but they said it could be a week to get a reply from the custom shop.
I just think it would be an interesting round to work on.
I have .224 Valkyrie, so I have brass.
Thanks
Smudge

I have one I ordered before the 224 Valkyrie was released. Use Rcbs good medal bushing dies. I will look later to see the size. It's [beeep] accurate and for sure a heck of a deer cartridge for medium range. I pushed a 105 grain bullet at 2600fps the other day

Redding makes a 224 Valkyrie Type "S" full length bushing die. Just swap out the 224 expander ball for a 6mm one and order 6mm bushings. I've done the same thing with 204 Ruger Type "S" FL bushing die and load 22-204, 6mm-204 and 25-204 with the same die just swapping out expander balls and bushings.

Decent brass, a little more volume than a 223 and in a 16" barrel I can run within 200fps of a .243 in the same length barrel with the same weight bullets. My go to bullet is the 65grn vmax and it's a hammer out to 500yds. And it's barely more expensive than a .223.

In the world of wildcats "WHY" is a word that makes no sense at all. If there is a new case available somebody just has to neck it up, neck it down, shorten it, blow it out or just make it better in the eyes of the wildcatter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSIn the world of wildcats "WHY" is a word that makes no sense at all. If there is a new case available somebody just has to neck it up, neck it down, shorten it, blow it out or just make it better in the eyes of the wildcatter.

Yes.

It has a cooler name. This is nothing new, 243 LBC-6mm Grendel, 224 TTH-5.6x57mm, 6mm Rem-6x57mm, 280 Rem-7mm/06-7mm Express-7x64. The most appealing name with the most support is the winner.

These were just the ones off the top off my head.

Can't forget the 22 Varminter-22 Gebby-22-250 Rem

I think you will find a long list of nearly the same cartridge with many different names. Just a couple different degrees of shoulder will make it a new and wonderful cartridge in the eyes of the catter.

Even my own 25-204 EDC(So marked dies from Hornady). 257 Kimber(25x222 Rem Mag Improved) 1986, 25-204 EDC(Erich's Deer Cartridge) 2004 and the 257 Raptor 2010 all basically the same cartridge different times and different support. I built mine to hunt deer with, Kimber built theirs with hopes of a new cartridge but had to modify their small action to accommodate so dropped it, Gary Reader built it to make a buck and supported his version with properly head stamped brass and advertising bucks.

Last edited:
Whatever turns your crank. Let us know how it turns out. Lots of great cartridges have come from wildcats. 6.5x284, 7mm-08 and so on. I like 6mm’s but currently have only one, a win model 70 fwt in 243. Some day I’d like a custom rifle built of of its action and the “newer” 6mm’s peak my interest. Dasher, creed, BRA, 6x47L etc. they probably don’t gain much over the 243, might loose some....

Last edited:
Truthfully, I looked at what was available for components to the gun itself. I'd love to have a .22 Grendel for long range prairie dogs, and a 6mm Grendel for calling but realistically finding a magazine developed around the ppc diameter cases weren't and still aren't. Yes one could adapt feedlips for it but I saw the magazines for .224 Valkyrie and the lined Accurate mags are plentiful and work great, so I went for what I could use right now.

Grendel magazines that run well are made by PRI, C Products and ASC. I use the ASC 6.5's to shoot any of a half dozen each of 6.8 and 6.5 variants. In fact that same magazine is used to run the 22 Nosler, 22 LBC and the 224 Valkyrie.

Greg

Very true, I should have specified that in my case, I built a bolt gun so things are super limited for mags that work with chassis (AICS type). In an AR things are definitely easier since the Valkyrie is built around that platform. I took it even further and read about the running needed to get the 22 nosler to NOT ruin brass in an AR and went straight bolt action.

Last edited:
The new Rugers in Grendel are a good starting place for your preferences. I'll be changing mine to a 22 LBC after I play with the 6.5 a bit. It came with a CP magazine IIRC.

Greg

Back