cheap scope shooting 1000 yards any ideas

Santiago

Now I know there are tons of scopes out there but what is a good 1000 yards scope for little money?
I was thinking about the Osprey 10x40x50 had one ordered but it was back ordered for a month and a half so I dropped it.
I just need some ideas for sites I don't really have a lot of time to just browse around the net thanks guys.

Last edited:
SWFA SS fixed (300 new and under for demo models) or adjustable

Can handle recoil up to 50 cal
Precise repeatable turrets
Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA reticles & matching turrets
140 MOA of travel ...15 per rev
36 Mil of travel....5 per rev
Can be had in FFP or SFP
Lifetime warranty that you may never need to use

Look at the demo models.....they are in way better shape than as the description suggests...matter fact, I have yet to find anything wrong with any of the demo models I bought.

They are having a demo blow out sale with lens flip up covers, bubble level and sunshade included starting from $249 & up.

You don’t need over 20 magnification to shot 10”X10” steel at 1,000yds and I turn mag down to 12 when mirage becomes an issue.

Last edited:
One of my shooting buddies says the glass should be 2x the rifle $$.
I'm ok with 1X $$.
So what did you pay for the LR rifle $$ ?

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U $599

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U $799

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-16x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U $299

These go on sale a couple times a year July 4 , black friday, tax time. They make other models but I think you could make consistent hits at 1K with these if you can read the wind and have a steady hand. and I have owned all three of these and their more expensive 5-20x50 as far as the fixed power they make a 20x but I like the 16x better having had both. The top two have knobs that re-set with a single screw on top the fixed power have knobs that reset with three hex screws. I prefer the single screw style.

I would look at the Athlon scopes. Lots of Bang for the Buck. Their warranty service is out of Kansas and they have a No Questions Asked warranty.

I had a Talos. Like the guy in the review, I'm not a big fan of first focal plane scopes. My only two cons were the marks on the scope didn't line up 100% and the lighted reticle knob was impossible to turn by hand. Seriously, I had to use pliers to turn it. Neither of these were serious cons to me as I'm not a big knob twister and I hardly if ever use a lighted reticle. I usually buy scopes without them. So my cons are a moot point. They are pretty nice scopes for the money.

Originally Posted By: crapshootShooting at 1000 and turning turrets out to and back again repeatedly are 2 different things.

Yep! Sure are! Unless your shooting PRS. There may be some knob turning there and they shoot out there a long ways from what I have read. Never done it so I can't say for sure. F-class,very little knob turning.

You can try Arken Optics FFP Rifle Scopes 4-14X44. It's only for $349.99.
Here is one mans view on what I saw out of the Arken SH-4 4-14x44 FFP 30mm Optic.

1. Initial first impressions: The Arken 4-14x44 comes in what I would consider a standard box in line with what you would see from any reputable optics company. Well packaged, and an added bonus I was unaware of is that the optic comes with a Sunshade ( nice!). Feel and finish wise it is your standard 6061-T6 matte black finish. I talked to the guys at Arken and they told me that the final version will have a look similar to what the razor HD has currently color wise. I am excited to see what that looks like!

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

2. Glass: Probably up there with the most important feature when I look at an Optic, Arken touts its Lanthanum Multi Coated glass as " providing better optical performance than similar products" ( took quote verbatim that right from the box). Now I don't know a whole a lot about Lanthanum glass, but I do trust my eyes to pick out good glass when I see it. So, I mounted this SOB onto my 6.5 Grendel and had some fun. First test was a basic test out in the arid desert near my house during mid day shooting hours. I wanted to see what the optic garner clarity wise out in the field. To my surprise, the glass was as advertised. The edge to edge clarity was as good as many optics I have seen costing twice this much, including the vortex viper gen 2, and the Midas/Ares line from Athlon ( more on that shortly). Good first pass... but I wasn't done!

I have a Midas TAC ( HD glass, comparable to a Nikon FX1000, PST GEN 2) and wanted to line these up at dusk to see what the low light level gathering was like. I felt like this was a good comparison as the Midas Tac has a similar setup ( 4-16x44, 30 mm tube). Side by side I focused on the same cactus at 500 yards later that evening... Here is what I saw:

15 minutes til sunset: No real difference in the clarity or light gathering, and not shocking, as light was still very available

Sunset: Oddly enough, expecting to see some difference, as I am get impressed with the Midas tac, the clarity of the object in focus and the amount of light both scopes produced was virtually identical.

10 minutes past sunset: With light almost gone, I rotated looking through both scopes back and forth for a good five minutes, and they both provided the same amount of clarity and light as the other. Now this is to say they are not on par with a S and B or other high end optic, but I expected the Midas to give me more since it retails for $590.. This left me intrigued.

3. Eyebox: In a phrase, very comfortable. Even at full zoom I did not have to fidget a whole lot to line up my target comfortably and fire away. The only downside I see for now is that Arken only has one reticle and one increment choice ( mil). For me this is not a big deal, but for some it may be a deal breaker. That being said, Arken tells me there are other scope configurations in the works, and I am excited to see what those look like. the SHR MIL reticle is simple to use, and I really enjoyed it, as I am not a huge fan of the Xmas tree style reticles that have become so popular.

4. Turrets: Arken touts itself as having a "turret tracking guarantee". I inquired a bit more about this, and the fellas over there tell me that the turrets will track to a 99% degree of accuracy. Now I did a simple box test, as well as some range time dialing from 100, to 300, and 500 yards respectively, and the scope performed just fine. Also I will add that the turrets are very tactile and crisp.

5. Price: If you are like me, you are always looking for a good deal on an optic that will perform without having to sacrifice your child's college fund. The $349.99 price point Arken offers is what had me intrigued. I was skeptical that the quality of the optic and available features would actually stack up to other optics in the same general price range. To my dismay, it performed neck and neck with my Midas Tac, and having spent plenty of time behind mid tier optics ( $600-$1000 price range) from Burris, Leopold, Sig, Vortex, among others, I truly believe that this scope will hold its own against any of them. Compared to optics in the same sub $400 price point? There isn't anything I have looked through that I would purchase other than this. I know, sounds crazy right? To my eyes, this is my stance.

Rating: 9.5

Summary: All in all, the Arken SH-4 exceeded my expectations in every category. For $349.99, I have yet to see an optic with this kind of clarity, eye box, turret crispness, and overall quality in this price point. Is it a S and B or Nightforce? No.. But they aren't trying to be either. I will be using more of these in my line up with out any doubt.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGSWFA SS fixed (300 new and under for demo models) or adjustable

Can handle recoil up to 50 cal
Precise repeatable turrets
Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA reticles & matching turrets
140 MOA of travel ...15 per rev
36 Mil of travel....5 per rev
Can be had in FFP or SFP
Lifetime warranty that you may never need to use

Look at the demo models.....they are in way better shape than as the description suggests...matter fact, I have yet to find anything wrong with any of the demo models I bought.

They are having a demo blow out sale with lens flip up covers, bubble level and sunshade included starting from $249 & up.

You don’t need over 20 magnification to shot 10”X10” steel at 1,000yds and I turn mag down to 12 when mirage becomes an issue.

This^^^ I have been running a 20X SWFA SS on one of my PD rifles now for about 6-7 years and glass is good and turrets are still tracking 100%. And it was only $299.

Athlon scopes are pretty good, my youngest son has one each on two different rifles. I like them both, but my personal choice is SWFA, 10x42 SS, fixed 10x will get you to 1,000 yards and then some. They are also made in 6x, 12x, 16x AND 20x. These days that also make a couple of variable and some HD (high definition) optics as well.

They are $299.99, and they were originally developed for the U.S. Navy Special Warfare Division (I.E. S.E.A.L.S.)

The government paid $800 each for them, the current iteration is the best one they have ever made, even better than the original. The HD variations are even better but you pay thru the nose for them.

They are rugged reliable and the turrets are some of the best and most accurate put on any scope made, bar none.

Bullet

Last edited:
Been a little while since the last post here, but just thot i would throw out the athlon ares btr since its getting discontinued. A lot of places have it now for half reg price (2.5-15x50 $400 from $800).

Maybe it would depend upon what he expects to use that scope for at 1,000 yards. Inexpensive glass in the 20X range with xtra fine crosshairs or mil-dot might be able to get the job done? I've got an 18-40X40 long range scope and sometimes I wish I had a bit more power and definitely a larger objective.

If I was a youngster and passionate about long range accuracy and possessed the rifle capable of grouping small at 1,000 yards, I would save for the Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-45x56 and for ever more be a happy camper.

Originally Posted By: JoeyJMaybe it would depend upon what he expects to use that scope for at 1,000 yards. Inexpensive glass in the 20X range with xtra fine crosshairs or mil-dot might be able to get the job done? I've got an 18-40X40 long range scope and sometimes I wish I had a bit more power and definitely a larger objective.

If I was a youngster and passionate about long range accuracy and possessed the rifle capable of grouping small at 1,000 yards, I would save for the Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-45x56 and for ever more be a happy camper. Ive looked thru one S&B, and will never tell someone its a bad purchase if they have the money. From my reading here on PM and my experience shooting with crappy glass and, ill comparatively say, decent glass, the quality of glass will do far more for you than magnification itself. Guys are shooting 1000 with 10x scopes and great glass. It can work.

My first scope purchase was for my 17 hmr, and its a bsa sweet 17 6-18x40. For the sub 300 yards i should have stayed below 12ish and got better glass. My last scope was the ares 2.5-15x50 btr that will make its way onto my next coyote/deer rig. For dual purpose work i think that range is perfect and the best glass i can afford right now. Surely though, there is better! Someday...

Primary arms front focal plane scopes. Whem compared to Leupold mk4 sise by side, not quite as clear but very serviceable 1000 yds scope. Hit all day at960

Back