Pondering a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 or 7x57

Karl in Phoenix

I am looking for a 6.5x55mm or 7x57mm and am thinking about the CZ 550. I have a CZ in .221 Fireball and love the accuracy and features.

Does anyone have any experience with a CZ550 in either of these calibers?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers.

The CZ no, the calibers, yes. I would go with the 6.5x55 if accuracy at range is the issue. I think if you look at the BC of the two especially the 6.5mm bullets, you will see what I mean. I use the 100gr Nos BT with excellent results, and shoot the 107gr SIE MatchKing for plinking. If you have an old Mauser 98 laying around to sporterize, either round will work in the action without having to worry about the length of the cartridge. The CZ has a reputation of being very fine indeed in the 6.5x55 offering.

I have to agree with iron mike about CZ's reputation. They were formerly known as Brno, noted for their excellence in firearms. Most shooters are quite happy with them. The 6.5x55 has a greater range in bullet weights, 85 to 160grs.
and offers a little more versatility than the 7x57, but both are fine cartridges. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I'm with Cal and Mike. The only experience I have with CZs is related to my 527 American in .223 (which I love by the way). I have a Sako in 6.5X55 though. It's a wonderful cartridge that doesn't get the press it deserves here in the states. In a modern firearm like the CZ, and with good handloads, the old Swede is balistically equivalent (some say superior) to the .260 Rem. The beauty of the 6.5 is the ability to load those long sleek bullets that eat up so much powder space in the .308 case of the .260. With 140 grain Barnes XLCs, my little Swede just levels whatever I've shot with it (mostly hogs and deer). In fact, I can't recall having to shoot anything more than once. Go for the CZ chambered in the 6.5X55 - you won't be disappointed. (Unless of course you want a screaming barrel burner whizbangmagnum, then you should look elsewhere.)

I picked up my CZ 550 in 6.5 X 55 in August. It is a truly wonderful weapon. The cartridge is as good as everyone says it is. I am developing loads for it now. Testing Nosler 125 partions, 120 BT's, Sierra 140 gr Gamekings and Barnes 120 gr TSX. This is my 3rd CZ and there really are not enought words. You cannot go wrong. I had a M96 that I got for $200. Got to looking at the Sporterized cost and found that a CZ would cost LESS, could not be more pleased.

The 6.5X55 truly does NOT GET the press it deserves!

I have a CZ550 Lux version with upgraded Walnut stock, Pachmayr butt pad and jewelled bolt. I bought this on inventory sale eight years ago for $320. At that time the CZ was not as popular and well known as it is today.

This one is in 30-06 though. It shoots like a charm right out the box without any tinkering. 1" group with handload is a given. The set trigger is awesome though I did not use this feature during hunting for safety reason. Once it is on set, a slight touch with the gloved finger and it would go off before I intended to.
My son loved this rifle so much that he kept bugging me for it until I finally gave in and exchanged it for his sporterized Mauser in 6.5x55.

You just cannot go wrong with a CZ550 especially in 6.5x55 chambering.

Howard

I use Hornady 129 gr spt in my CZ 550, 6.5x55. It is my favorite Whitetail deer rifle. Very accurite, comfortable to shoot, IMO best rifle on the market for the price, and works great on deer.

Many thanks for your comments on the various calibers and rifle types. I have been interested in getting a "classic" caliber (meaning old) for a while and am looking at the utility of either one of these in the CZ550. I think the long, skinny bullets available for the 0.264 make it ideal for anything in Arizona (including elk or bear). The 160 grain bullets (of "premium" construction) will likely shoot through just about any critters.

I have done serious ballistics and components research in these calibers. I do not have first-hand knowledge about the CZ550. I like my other CZ and find it very suitable for the inteded purpose.

I will likely get a 6.5x55mm for the ability to shoot light weight bullets at coyotes, too. Maybe make it a good cougar rifle, as well.

Thanks again for your input, all. Any other comments, please feel free to vent or opine (but no bloviating....).

Cheers,

A nice lightweight load in my custom 6.5x55 is the 95 gr V-max behind a heavy load of IMR 4350. The BC of .365 is much better than the 85 grain hp bullets.

6.jpg

Back