Opinion please

Mtns2hunt

It appears that Eastern Coyote hunting is better in the evening in hot weather. My thought is that coyote has been laid up all day and is getting hungry around sundown and will start moving.

Coyote in the morning is probably well fed and looking for a nap spot.
At least this is how it seems to me and I am not sure I will be going out in the am until fall. Opinions?

Hunt whenever you have time !!! Early mornings can produce too. The more time you spend in Wiley’s home the more you will learn about him !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickHunt whenever you have time !!! Early mornings can produce too. The more time you spend in Wiley’s home the more you will learn about him !

Hunting whenever I have time is really not efficient. If say evenings are more productive then that is when I should hunt. I have found that evenings do produce better in my area. Is this a fluke? I want to know what others are experiencing.

As a business owner I am always trying to improve productivity, I guess some of this has bled over into other aspects of my life.

I have killed coyotes about every hour day & night. Night time is the best time. Early morning is good. If you think evening is best OK.

If you want to be the most productive, then as a business owner you already know you have to be there when most of your customers are available !

Hunt when it is dark !!!!!

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickIf you want to be the most productive, then as a business owner you already know you have to be there when most of your customers are available !

Hunt when it is dark !!!!!

Good advice to hunt when its dark. I have and will again hunt in the dark in future but my preference is either mornings or evenings until about an hour after dark.

It does seem that in my area evening hunts are more productive and that is what I am curious about: are evenings more productive else where?

I know that you can kill coyotes any time during the day or night but patterns do develop. Appreciate everyone's input

Mtns, after operating a coyote bait site for several years now, one thing has become very apparent from viewing my trail cameras. Coyotes are much more active at night by a large percentage, though I have seen them at all times of the day from early morning to before dark. If you can hunt nights and have the equipment to do so, then I think your success rate will go up considerably.

"are evenings more productive else where?"
Probably, and there is a natural selection caused by deer hunters taking out yotes during deer hunting hours (daytime).
The yotes learn to avoid humans period, especially where there is (daytime) game hunting pressure.
Of the many trailcam yote sightings I have here in North-GA, most are in the dark.

Yes, I can see that being a nocturnal creature the Coyote would be hunted better at night. However, for me, that's in the future. I am averaging about two sightings per 4 hunts with a kill ratio of 50%. No one seems to hunt coyotes in my area unless an unexpected opportunity presents.

So I am happy with my ratio. Should I desire to kill a lot of Coyotes I will switch to night hunting but currently I have a lot fun hunting evenings and mornings: mostly evenings.

I do agree that hunting pressure conditions coyotes. However, I have killed one during deer season the last two years running. One was a red colored coyote that I had mounted. Chased him/seen him for two years and he just popped out the treeline morning I was hunting deer. Beautiful animal.

Calling coyotes has become a real blast as I have called in hawks, crows and bobcats as well.

So bottom line for me is I enjoy hunting evenings and was just trying to find out if others have success in the evenings as well. I am still polishing my skills but having a lot of fun doing so. There is all kinds of knowledge on this forum and I appreciate everyone sharing their experience and opinions.

Originally Posted By: GCIf your method yields a consistent 50% kill success rate, don't change a thing.

Yes, fairly consistent so long as I don't over hunt any one spot. I have access to three farms with more on the horizon.

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntcurrently I have a lot fun hunting evenings and mornings: mostly evenings.
That says it all. Enjoying what you do is where it’s at. And, as GC mentioned, given your success rate, don’t change a thing.

I go out more evenings than I do mornings only because of my schedule but I've been more successful in the mornings. It seems most of the ones I've called in the mornings have been a little later in the mornings. Maybe 8 or after

I go out more evenings than I do mornings only because of my schedule but I've been more successful in the mornings. It seems most of the ones I've called in the mornings have been a little later in the mornings. Maybe 8 or after

I have found sundown and sun up to be equally productive. Here is my take, I can't hunt every morning or every evening, work/life just won't let that happen. I look at wind and weather, if has been raining most of the previous day and night, morning is it, and vice versa for evening hunts. If I know a big system is coming in, I try to get in front of it.
For me to label one better than the other, just can't do it, coyotes are too unpredictable around my area. I look at every outing as a great escape from the grind.

Back