** LATHE TURNED CALL BODIES **

badtothebone

Hey gang!

I just wanted to pass along a little information about my Bunny Bomb open reed calls. The time has come to shut down the shop, and bring my lathe turned call bodies to an end. I still have a few left and will put them out here from time to time.

There are other call projects I have in mind, and I'm looking at bone and antler as well.

Plus I have a few Bunny Bomb tone boards to work away. They take a bit of time to make, but are worth the effort. I start with a solid cast hunk of resin. Then, in many steps:

Adjust the shape of the board

Bore in the back pressure relief

Sand the shank to hold epoxy better

Adjust the air channel

Adjust the arch in the tone board

Sand / steel wool / polish the tone board

Cut and trim the reed

Keep fiddling around with the tuning till I get it just right

I'll be 66 soon, and I've decided to spend a lot more time on the trigger than on the lathe. Our area is over run with woodchucks, and I like to 'reach out and touch them' via .204

Yotes are done in my area until they take the beans off and pick the corn this fall. Too grown up to see them coming in.

Anyway, a heart felt thanks to you all for the many years of support, specially for my cocobolo and maple calls. Loved turning that wood.

Warm regards to all my friends,

Rudy

Wishing you the best in this new chapter Rudy.
More trigger time sounds fun too. (66 seems young to me!)

I for one have appreciated your skill in making quality calls
and am fortunate to have a few very nice ones, thank you.
Bob

I just want to echo what Bob said. Thank you for turning out great calls over the years. You’ve been consistently putting them out since I found PredatorMasters when I first started chasing predators, and I am very proud to own several and put a few to use. I’ve also got a couple put back in the stash for my kids to hopefully use one day. I always enjoyed seeing each call you posted and hope you have fun touching those chucks from far out.

Sorry to hear that Rudy, but happy for you at the same time. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with, as I am a big fan of natural material calls. You’re a big part of the Custom Calls forum, so I’m glad that you will still be making a call now and then. Did a little shooting myself yesterday... nothing like some time behind the trigger.

Brian

Sorry to see the Bunny Bombs go. Good thing I have close to a dozen, that should last me and hopefully my kids our life.

Not only do you make awesome calls but the service you back them up with I'll always remember. Your Bomb was the first custom call and first open reed call I ever purchased. Without hesitation you got on the phone with me when it came in and spend about 10 minutes or so coaching me through it. That's something worth FAR MORE THEN WHAT I PAID FOR. You're a top notch call maker and an even better person. I'll be watching closely for your call projects.

Give the chucks h€ll

P.S. I've got some small antlers I'd gladly ship out to you if interested. But I'll only except a "Thank You" as payment...let me know

Last edited:
Times 10 on what everyone else said------Glad I got a few-Happy Trails My Friend--Wish I was 66 again LOL------Use your time Hunt'en and Fishing---------Shoot a Bunch

svb

Dang, Rudy I hate to see ya hang up the wood calls.. I know how it is though.. Im about there myself. Hopefully we can get together for some more hunting action soon.. Kerry

A guy has got to do what a guy as got to do. I'm just glad I got in on the action before you closed it down. I have some coues antlers out in the shed I'll dig out for you if your in need.

Made from my daughters first coues.

JnDXGtq.jpg

Plus, I think I have 3 or 4 left in the 'all finished' box. I'll toss them out from time to time. I'm pretty sure there are a couple maples, a walnut, and a purpleheart.

Originally Posted By: badtotheboneYeah Kerry, if they ever allow hunting buzzards, we can use Terry for bait............

thumbup.gif
For sure!!

Yep, one day I saw a buzzard bite Terry on the head.

The buzzard flew away gagging, spitting, and trying to get the foul taste out of it's mouth.

Good luck Rudy, I think I have a whole drawer full of your calls and always at least one on my lanyard at all times. Never forget the first time I put a baby bomb to my lips I called in a triple.

I know over the years a ton of Love and Labor has went into the sound, fit and finish on your calls.. Im proud to say I have some and use them.

Dang Rudy, I hate to see you stop turning the wooden calls. Going to miss seeing what you have come up with. The first Call that I bought off of Predator Masters was one of yours. But I understand about the Trigger Time, heck I will be 72 this month. With my Hog Hunting and Trapping along with a little Fishing, I have slowed down my Turning Time.

BEST OF LUCK RUDY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back