New 22 Creed ! What do you guys think of the caliber.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAt 800-1000 yards, are you sure its a coyote or the neighbors dog?

For most of the cattle ranchers I know it doesn't make any difference.

Originally Posted By: Txhillbillybut so far H4350 does what I need it to.

with groups like that, I would say H4350 does what it needs to... I believe that's what Gunwerks uses in their handloads. I'll test some 4831SC up against some H4350 and keep everyone posted.

Originally Posted By: MJAndersonHey there, awesome looking gun! What are your thoughts between the .22 creedmoor and the 6mm creedmoor as far as a longer range gun goes. I'm looking for a gun for coyotes around the 800yd to 1000yd range.

Thanks,
Matt

I believe a coyote has about a 4 inch kill zone. So, I suppose holding .5 MOA out to 800 or .25 MOA to 1000 yards would be exceptionable shooting for a nice hunting rifle under hunting conditions, even factoring unknown wind and how accurate your range finder is.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MJAndersonHey there, awesome looking gun! What are your thoughts between the .22 creedmoor and the 6mm creedmoor as far as a longer range gun goes. I'm looking for a gun for coyotes around the 800yd to 1000yd range.

Thanks,
Matt

A few things here. There's a lot of people who don't agree with LR shots on animals, I'm not one of em... If you have the proper equipment, and training, and you know your abilities, it's your decision.

These rifles are half MOA rifles, if not better, with handloads or provided ammo. A Coyotes kill zone can vary, depending on angle, but let's say it's 4 inches, if your rifle is a 1/2 MOA rifle and you know how to shoot in the conditions you're hunting in, then theoretically you should be able to hit that target at 800 yards (an MOA @ 800 yards = 8 inches, 1/2 MOA @ 800 yards = 4 inches).

My thought's on the Calibers are exactly why we offer the Rifles in 3 calibers, the 22-250, 22 Creed and 6 Creed. The ballistics of the 6mm are superior to the .224, they will deliver more energy, and consistency down range. If you are going to be taking a lot of mid to LR shots and don't care about fur damage, the 6 is the way to go.

Skinny, I know there are people here that can make those kind of shots. Your probably one of them.

However, I would love to know how many hunters (percentage) here could cleanly kill a coyote at say 400-500 yards on a stand. From my small experience shooting FTR at 600, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting at that range with my equipment, with my limited abilities. But that is just me.

I have no problem with talented shooters, shooting to their abilities, within the laws.

Quote:If you have the proper equipment, and training, and you know your abilities, it's your decision. I agree with you.

And again, that is an awesome setup, maybe someday I'll be lucky enough get something like that.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiSkinny, I know there are people here that can make those kind of shots. Your probably one of them.

However, I would love to know how many hunters (percentage) here could cleanly kill a coyote at say 400-500 yards on a stand. From my small experience shooting FTR at 600, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting at that range with my equipment, with my limited abilities. But that is just me.

1000% right on the money, I've heard story's about guys who make 800 yard running shots with a 22-250, straight from the shooters mouth. Do I think it's possible, yes. Do I think it happened from the shooter telling me, no. Have I made shots like this, nope, I won't take shots like that, no reason for me to.
I do have footage of quite a few 400 to 600 yard kills, that are easily doable if you're proned out and have a solid shooting position with proper equipment. No reason to show them because when you zoom out I could easily say it's an 800 yard shot and you honestly couldn't tell the difference.
Personally I like getting them as close as possible, but I like having the capability of a rifle that allows me to make the shots I need if I need to make them.

I have one on a Tikka I built with a 22" barrel and have plans of building a 16.5" one as well. I think for called coyotes it's hard to beat. It does carry well in the wind for those long shots. I have been very impressed with mine. I am also running H-4350 in mine with 77 TMK. Want to run a fur friendlier bullet in the 16.5" barrel considering the price of coyotes today.

I am late to this thread but thought I would add my 2 cents regarding caliber..... I am pleased to see the rounds offered in this new rifle set up. I think ya all hit the spectrum of really good rounds on the nose.

I thought long and hard about "horses for courses" and decided on the following, all Ruger #1's:

1. 6.5 Creed for big open country. I want to try these new lighter bullet loads just for kicks.

2. 6mm BR for a "bit less" then big open country. This is a rechambered gun from 6PPC so it likes the older lighter bullets.

3. 22PPC for most work. Ya cant beat the rounds accuracy features

4. 17 Fireball with Lilja barreled and trigger work by Penrod for closer stuff.

Just my selection

Last edited:
There are very, very few days during the winter where I live where one could effectively, a high percentage of the time, shoot coyotes beyond 400-450 yards due to one thing... wind.
Most guys I see shooting beyond those distances are typically doing one thing, educating the coyotes with their rifle resting on the window seal of their truck.
I have a CDS dial on my 200 Swift (my main "go to" caliber for coyotes) and it rarely, if ever, gets turned above 400-450.
Not knocking the OP at all, just sharing my observations from the field in my little patch in the Rocky Mountains. That being said, I do love reaching out there at longer ranges on prairie dogs and rock chucks on a calm summer day!

Originally Posted By: WyoBullThere are very, very few days during the winter where I live where one could effectively, a high percentage of the time, shoot coyotes beyond 400-450 yards due to one thing... wind.
Most guys I see shooting beyond those distances are typically doing one thing, educating the coyotes with their rifle resting on the window seal of their truck.
I have a CDS dial on my 200 Swift (my main "go to" caliber for coyotes) and it rarely, if ever, gets turned above 400-450.
Not knocking the OP at all, just sharing my observations from the field in my little patch in the Rocky Mountains. That being said, I do love reaching out there at longer ranges on prairie dogs and rock chucks on a calm summer day!

I wouldn't disagree. However we do have a lot of opportunities throughout the year, especially during the ladder when Coyotes are a little more skiddish and educated, to "attempt" those 400+ yard shots. By adding the capability of a 75+ grain round going mid 3K's, your aiding in eliminating variables that aren't within your control, one being wind. I've had more guys than I would like to think, tell me there's not much difference between that (creed ballistics) and their 22-250 running a 50 grain round going upper 3K's. For us, I think it's going to be a win/win. Most, if not all of our shots beyond 400 are from a solid almost always prone position, with time to get proper dope and try to compensate for the stronger winds, we have here on the plains. So far I'm really liking the caliber, I'm not sold on giving up my 250's though, that's for certain.

Just to continue what WyoBull and others have said...

Living in the sandhills of Nebraska where there are plenty of cyotes and wide open country (literally stand at the top of a hill in some areas and not see a tree) I have very few opportunities to shoot at coyotes from a stand past 400 yds that I was sure the coyote wasn't going to come in. However, because I hunt the ground often and know there's a good chance that coyote and I may cross-paths again, i don't attempt the shot.

THE ONLY time I would take a shot that long is if I had missed a closer shot and the damage of education for that coyote is already done. This happened once and I was LUCKY to down the coyote at 370 yds or so.

I'm not saying everybody should play by my rules, but man, calling predators is hard. What makes it harder is educated dogs.

However I also have to confess, in days like this in the middle of June, what helps me fall to sleep every night is making that 500yd shot on a big old howler. The part that makes me love the idea is the amount of practice I put in on prairie dog towns. Maybe someday I'll be confident to pull off a cold bore 500 yd shot on a 6" circle off of sticks and no rear rest.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: WyoBullThere are very, very few days during the winter where I live where one could effectively, a high percentage of the time, shoot coyotes beyond 400-450 yards due to one thing... wind.

I wouldn't disagree. However we do have a lot of opportunities throughout the year, especially during the ladder when Coyotes are a little more skiddish and educated, to "attempt" those 400+ yard shots. By adding the capability of a 75+ grain round going mid 3K's, your aiding in eliminating variables that aren't within your control, one being wind. I've had more guys than I would like to think, tell me there's not much difference between that (creed ballistics) and their 22-250 running a 50 grain round going upper 3K's. For us, I think it's going to be a win/win. Most, if not all of our shots beyond 400 are from a solid almost always prone position, with time to get proper dope and try to compensate for the stronger winds, we have here on the plains. So far I'm really liking the caliber, I'm not sold on giving up my 250's though, that's for certain.

Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing more data and field use feedback.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: MJAndersonHey there, awesome looking gun! What are your thoughts between the .22 creedmoor and the 6mm creedmoor as far as a longer range gun goes. I'm looking for a gun for coyotes around the 800yd to 1000yd range.

Thanks,
Matt

A few things here. There's a lot of people who don't agree with LR shots on animals, I'm not one of em... If you have the proper equipment, and training, and you know your abilities, it's your decision.

These rifles are half MOA rifles, if not better, with handloads or provided ammo. A Coyotes kill zone can vary, depending on angle, but let's say it's 4 inches, if your rifle is a 1/2 MOA rifle and you know how to shoot in the conditions you're hunting in, then theoretically you should be able to hit that target at 800 yards (an MOA @ 800 yards = 8 inches, 1/2 MOA @ 800 yards = 4 inches).

My thought's on the Calibers are exactly why we offer the Rifles in 3 calibers, the 22-250, 22 Creed and 6 Creed. The ballistics of the 6mm are superior to the .224, they will deliver more energy, and consistency down range. If you are going to be taking a lot of mid to LR shots and don't care about fur damage, the 6 is the way to go.

Skinney, that's a beautiful rifle, wish that was within my budget!
I am thinking about getting a Ruger American Hunter with the Magpul; stock as the next project. I am looking at custom barrels the sellers say are for the RPR and was thinking in terms of the 22CM but based on comments concerning "consistency down range" & I suppose wind deflection maybe I should go the 6CM route. It would be used for Coyotes/Beavers & 800 yd. range. I had been thinking about the 22CM with the new ELDM bullets, I have other rifles for Deer.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: zr600Skinny what are you running for bullets at what speeds?
I just chrono'd it a week ago about 7 different strings. Highest I got was 3400 pushing a 75 grain ELD-M, this is out of a 16.5" barrel. I settled for the best group, and that gets me at 3250-3300.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullThere are very, very few days during the winter where I live where one could effectively, a high percentage of the time, shoot coyotes beyond 400-450 yards due to one thing... wind.

I agree I have been loading the 220 Swift since 1963. I have retired 2 rifles and working on my third. What can I say but the Swift is the King.

Back