Arizona votes to ban coyote contests

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Looks like it is going to be banned.

https://www.knau.org/post/az-wildlife-officials-move-ban-coyote-killing-contests

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Game and Fish Commission has voted to ban organized contests where hunters try to kill the most coyotes or other predators for prizes.

CREDIT GOOGLE IMAGES
Friday's 4-0 vote bans contests that require registration and a fee and award prizes for killing the most coyotes or other fur-bearing animals or predators. The ban needs final approval by a council appointed by Gov. Doug Ducey.

Coyote-killing contests have drawn the ire of activists in recent years. The Oregon Legislature is considering a law banning the practice, and New Mexico banned them in April.

The ban approved Friday doesn't apply to lawful hunting of predators or other fur-bearing animals.

The environment group Center for Biological Diversity hailed the vote but said it remained concerned that loopholes will allow some contests to continue.

Last edited:
AZ ban is just the manifestation of divide and conquer tactics used by all anti-gunners and unfortunately it is quite effective!

For all the NRA naysayers, take the time to read the following article before asking, "What is NRA doing for me?" My question for the naysayers is, if "The information exchange now reaches 25 million-plus hunters. Working together", why are there not at least 25 million NRA members instead of 5.2 million helping to fight the anti-hunter/anti-gun battle?

Quote:Why the NRA Hunters’ Leadership Forum Site Is Hunters’ Top Tool

by Karen Mehall Phillips - Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Why the NRA Hunters’ Leadership Forum Site Is Hunters’ Top Tool
Photo credit: Bob Wick, Bureau of Land Management. A pronghorn makes its way along a branch of the California National Historic Trail before the Skedaddle Mountains outside of Susanville, Calif.
More

When the NRA was founded in 1871, shooting and hunting were distinct parts of America’s culture, readily perceived as one in the same. But while the 5.2-million-member NRA is America’s largest organization of hunters with 3.5 million hunters in its ranks, the NRA and American hunters are not telling their story—and hunting and shooting have evolved into separate entities. While anti-hunting, animal rights extremists were once mere fringe elements of society, today they have evolved into the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) umbrella groups and more, boasting hundreds of millions of dollars in collective annual fundraising. Well-funded, well organized and vocal, they fight with a cradle-to-the-grave strategy to end hunting. This is why NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre and NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris Cox say hunters must be as passionate about defending hunting as they are about going hunting. Though the vast majority of the American public supports legal, regulated hunting, those in the middle who know nothing about it are being persuaded by extremists’ short sound bites—all while hunters fail to tell their story beyond their community.

A Commitment to Saving Hunting’s Future
In December 2014 the NRA launched the NRA Hunters’ Leadership Forum (HLF) under the NRA presidency of longtime NRA Board of Directors member Jim Porter. Step No. 1: Build a core group of engaged and active hunters who are personally vested in huntings future. Step No. 2: Mobilize to address the cultural, political, demographic and technological challenges facing the future of hunters, hunting and wildlife conservation in the 21st century.

The NRA HLF brings together dedicated hunters who have distinguished themselves as leaders. It marches in step with the NRA objective to promote and defend hunting. It supports the NRA in leveraging its enormous firepower and the grassroots efforts of millions of mainstream American hunters to fight the enemy at the gate.

“History shows what happens when lawful hunting comes under attack: wildlife suffers, funding for wildlife conservation is gutted and hunting—and all that goes with it—is diminished.”
—NRA past president (2013-2015) and attorney Jim Porter, founder of the NRA Hunters’ Leadership Forum

NRA Publications’ Launch of NRAHLF.org
In July 2016, NRA Publications launched the NRA HLF website—NRAHLF.org—to monitor news on the issues impacting the future of hunting and wildlife conservation on the state, national and international levels. Additional material shares the stories of hunters and hunting and explains: how poaching is not hunting; how legal, regulated hunting benefits wildlife; and how hunters are ethical, compassionate mainstream Americans whose dollars aid game and non-game species alike. Without hunting and hunters’ dollars, there is no wildlife conservation. The website reclaims the narrative on hunters, hunting and animal welfare and exposes the misinformation touted by well-organized, well-funded animal rights extremist groups

Bi-monthly NRA HLF e-newsletters compile material from NRAHLF.org to share with the collective hunting community. Further showcasing the truth about hunting and wildlife conservation and confronting threats to hunting as they arise, NRAHLF.org created the NRA HLF Social Media Network. The network consists of hunting and shooting sports industry companies, like-minded organizations and other members of the collective hunting community that partner with the NRA to share NRAHLF.org content on their respective social media platforms. The information exchange now reaches 25 million-plus hunters. Working together, the collective hunting community can—and will—win this battle to save hunting. In November 2018, NRA Publications launched the NRAHLF.org’s Twitter page to build the NRAHLF.org audience and better connect with like-minded individuals and organizations, state wildlife agencies, journalists and podcasters. Follow the NRAHLF.org on Twitter @HuntersLead.

The NRA and the NRA HLF are making sure American hunters are aware of the escalating attacks on hunters as the collective hunting community fights the mob mentality that is now a hallmark of the culture war on hunting. Every hunter should be concerned that the fundamental act of hunting is being demonized as taboo. Our collective response: Be proud of our mainstream hunting traditions. Share NRAHLF.org story links on our respective social media platforms. Condemn death threats and other attacks on hunters at every turn. Explain that poaching is not hunting. And combat the political correctness and dishonesty that animal rights extremists work into every conversation about mainstream American hunters and legal, regulated hunting. Sharing our story of hunters and hunting is the only way non-hunters will learn and understand why we hunt.

Editor’s Note: Visit NRAHLF.org to add your email to the distribution list to receive periodic social media alerts and e-newsletters—and share the story links.

About the Author:
Karen Mehall Phillips is the director of communications for the NRA Hunters’ Leadership Forum and senior editor of NRA’s American Hunter. An avid rifle and bow hunter, she has hunted for 30 years and in 29 states, Canada, Italy, Finland, Germany, Spain, New Zealand, Greenland and Africa, including for two of the Big Five.

Karen draws on her experience to educate non-hunters on the critical role that hunters play in wildlife conservation worldwide and to inform them of the dangers anti-hunting extremists present to the future of wildlife conservation. She is invested in fighting America's culture war on hunters and hunting and works to shed light on anti-hunters’ blatant attempts to tout emotion and misinformation over scientific facts.

An NRA Endowment member, Karen worked in the NRA public relations arena prior to joining NRA Publications in 1998. She is the founding editor of two NRA official journals: America's 1st Freedom and Woman's Outlook. National writing awards include being named the 2015 Carl Zeiss Sports Optics Writer of the Year. She actively promotes women and families in the outdoors. She is also a member of the Washington metropolitan area's Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, a founding member of the Professional Outdoor Media Association, a member of Safari Club International and a Life member of the Dallas Safari Club and the Mule Deer Foundation.

Follow NRA Hunters' Leadership Forum on Twitter @HuntersLead.

https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2019/6/1...nters-top-tool/

Regards,
hm

Unfortunately the cowards caved. Now the anti's will move on to ban some other forms of hunting, whatever is next on their list. Those of you who wanted contests banned, mark my words...you are on their lists too.

I may not agree with the commissions position, but I do UNDERSTAND why they voted that way.

Quite simply, it makes no sense to the general public (in fact it probably troubles most people) that a bunch of camo clad guys with "sniper rifles" and big trucks are having a contest to see who can go out and kill the most coyotes/bobcats/foxes for fun and prizes!

You can argue all you want about the ethics, sportsmanship, benefits to other wildlife, whatever. To the average person, an organized activity like that makes absolutely no sense, and it never will.

It is hard enough to keep the vast majority (82%?) of the non hunting public on our side and at least tacitly supporting trapping, bow hunting, hound hunting etc. without also trying to explain events like "coyote contests".

The world is changing, and not for the better. We must continue to fight hard, support pro hunting groups/candidates and never surrender.

Just my two cents. JCS

Originally Posted By: jcs271

The world is changing, and not for the better. We must continue to fight hard, support pro hunting groups/candidates and never surrender.

Just my two cents. JCS

I agree! Fight to keep it all and surrender nothing. They will take what they can regardless.

Quote: Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Just saying!

jcs271 said:
I may not agree with the commissions position, but I do UNDERSTAND why they voted that way.

Quite simply, it makes no sense to the general public (in fact it probably troubles most people) that a bunch of camo clad guys with "sniper rifles" and big trucks are having a contest to see who can go out and kill the most coyotes/bobcats/foxes for fun and prizes!

You can argue all you want about the ethics, sportsmanship, benefits to other wildlife, whatever. To the average person, an organized activity like that makes absolutely no sense, and it never will.

So, what's the part they don't understand? The camo clad hunters with sniper rifles and big trucks. Because that's not going away or banned. Is it a group of guys killing a bunch of coyotes? That's not banned either. So, it's simply just the goal of 2 hunting partners trying to kill more coyotes than several other two man teams. This goal causes a lot of coyotes to be killed and probably leads to less government flying shoots.
I think if it's explained properly people understand. I mean do you really think the general public thinks there is a big difference between "a bunch of guys with sniper rifles and big trucks killing a bunch of coyotes." If most people saw my equipment they might not understand until I explained it.
The problem is a lot of hunters are OK with a ban on something that they don't do or care about until it's actually affects them. And the the next problem then becomes who is left to defend for you if all the forms or tactics you don't like are banned? If they can whittle down the number of hunters left it will be easy for them.

iowayotehunter76 So said:
The part where you earn cash and prizes for killing the most animals!

Everyone on this board knows that about 82% of the U.S. population are NON hunters and most of them vocally decry "Trophy" hunting. Fortunately for us, the majority of them do generally support hunters that eat what they shoot. The Arizona Fish and Game Commissioners recognized this and decided they would not be able to win the "coyote contest" argument. Unfortunately, this is the reality in 2019.

What a bunch of cowards. Educate the people. Learn how to explain something. 82% of the population you speak of watches, rewards, and makes a ton of money on our youth sports. I am not saying it's wrong it is a fact [beeep]. A lot of people love watching fights at USHL hockey games for Petes sake. Those are high school aged kids.
My gosh, let's all keep it a secret that we like to harvest a big buck or tom, or celebrate when we kill a truck full of coyotes just because it's fun.

This really gets my goat. I would think that a state like Arizona would like to see more coyotes hunted not less. Anti-hunter animal lovers make me sick.

I got an email from one of the assistants for the commission that made reference to "things going on behind the scenes" and that if I wanted to find out more I could reach out to them. I may just do that and see what they think they've got going that are going to help secure hunting in Arizona.

So using .gov money for helicopter/ plane shoots and using poison makes more sense?

I don't contest hunt, but I would guess the teams good enough to win have spent quite a bit of money to get where they are. Even during an event: travel, food, and lodging add up quick.

So that's the way it works in some of your minds? Contests or planes?

There's no other way to exist if NEITHER are present?

I don’t mind contests at all, if that is what you want to do I am all for it.

I run hounds, trap, and call. I put up fur because I like it. I don’t call well enough or want to work hard enough to be a contest caller.

Project coyote is buying off the few members of these boards, commitees etc...they throw money at their pet projects they vote to ban contest hunting...if these states would put hunters rights legislation so this money isnt in play our rights will not be infringed.....NM, AZ, OR..these three states were bought and paid for...NV, CO, are next. IF you could follow the money you would find out it has nothing to do with right and wrong, its who has the cash. UT cannot be bought so you will never see it happen..Thank goodness we can still run contests in these states on Indian reservations.......

Back