Thinking about rabbits in NM

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I haven't really gone rabbit hunting since chasing cottontails in WI(a shotgun game)or stalking snowshoes in MN and WI on skis with rifles.

I'd like to hunt cottontails and jacks for the pot this coming winter down here in NM. I took a walk this morning behind the house, standing in one spot I could pick out 7 jacks sitting in the shade of brush.

I'm trying to decide what to use, I'd like to have enough UMPH to down a short range coyote but not enough to destroy a rabbit headed to my dinner.

1. 22 Mag bolt action, need to buy

2. My Marlin 1894 in 218 Bee.

3. Any of my coyote rifles and a 22 LR handgun, I used to keep myself in snowshoes and grouse for the pot on the trapline with my handgun.

Any thoughts on this?

I thought about the 17 HMR but thought it might be too much for rabbits and not enough for coyotes, With all the rifles I've shot it's one I haven't even ever fired.

I like the 218 Bee and it is more than accurate but the thought of losing brass out in the desert is a little daunting.

22 Mag I can get flat nose solids for rabbits and back it with soft or HP's for coyotes. Or carry a spare mag of the other.

i think the 22 mag is a good choice, havent taken a coyote with one myself but i personally like it better than the 17, especially if cottontails are in the mix, though still have to be careful.

i have the cz 512 semi auto 22 mag, a bit fugly, but shoots really nice, would be good if you need a fast follow up on a coyote.

maybe look at the hornet, if you reload, then you can make a load for each, as you said carry a spare mag etc.

good luck

maybe look at the hornet, if you reload, then you can make a load for each, as you said carry a spare mag etc.

good luck [/quote]

Ya, a Hornet,a 22 Hornet then bump it out to a K Hornet.

I looked at a CZ in 22H yesterday, kind of interesting. I have a couple sets of 22H dies and a bunch of brass, I gave my 22H to my niece a couple years ago for her first predator rifle and haven't replaced it.

No need to "K" it for me, if I need more I just grab a bigger rifle.

My vote for what you described would be the 22 mag. I have a Heckler & Koch Model 300 semi auto 22 mag I used to use for short range calling (short range meaning anything inside 200 yards.

I use Winchester 40 gr HP's and have killed a bunch of coyotes with it as well as fox, coons etc.

For what you are doing with it, I would not put the time in to reload. Get you a nice 22 mag and start laying down the lead!

I have eaten several jack rabbits. They are pretty gross. I feed them to my dog. I would just use what you have and eat one first. I am guessing you will determine that the goal is to vaporize them varmints. Make sure you inspect the ears for ticks, mmmmm. For cottons the .22 pistol will be a fun challenge. If you just want to get a lot, 1 oz of #6 is the best. A supressed or very long barrel .22lr with subsonics is great for cottons. They will just sit and let you take multiple shots at them if its not loud. a 17hm2 might be the ultimate cottontail gun, especially in open country like NM. A cz with a whistlepig 17hm2 barrel or the savage A17 hm2 with a jard trigger.

I ate the up in ND/MN years ago, a little tougher than a cotton tail but it was good, I used to snipe them off my porch in the winter out in the alfalfa field. I was thinking it would be great chili/taco meat after a trip through the pressure cooker.

Originally Posted By: AWSI ate the up in ND/MN years ago, a little tougher than a cotton tail but it was good, I used to snipe them off my porch in the winter out in the alfalfa field. I was thinking it would be great chili/taco meat after a trip through the pressure cooker.

That is cuz you got them in alfalfa. They could be ok too if they are eating your leafy greens in the garden. The smaller ones are also more tender and taste better. Cottontail also taste far better if they eat leafy greens and blackberries compared to sage brush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI looked at a CZ in 22H yesterday, kind of interesting. I have a couple sets of 22H dies and a bunch of brass, I gave my 22H to my niece a couple years ago for her first predator rifle and haven't replaced it.

No need to "K" it for me, if I need more I just grab a bigger rifle.

The only reason I K'ed mine is its just easier on brass. At least for me. The necks are so frail it was to easy for me to get the bullets crooked. With the K, I don't seem to have the problem. And you can get a little more out of them too.

We shot a lot of jacks on my Grand dads farm. We used them for catfish bait. Most were tough as boot leather but the fish liked them.

This brings memories of hunting them in NM back in the late 50s and 60s, could hunt them at night with a spotlight. Pretty fun, did not eat them. Could get a few dozen on a good night in about 3-4 hours of work, not bad for the desert. We normally used 22lr from the back of a pickup and then my uncle would use his 30-06 and poof, no more Mr. Jack! Good luck.

A high school buddy and I spent a week camping near Ruidoso the summer of 1952 hunting jackrabbits on his uncle's ranch. We were encouraged to shoot as many as possible as it was said that 40 jackrabbits consume as much browse as one cow. Ummm, we fed several cows that summer.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: redhazeThis brings memories of hunting them in NM back in the late 50s and 60s, could hunt them at night with a spotlight. Pretty fun, did not eat them. Could get a few dozen on a good night in about 3-4 hours of work, not bad for the desert. We normally used 22lr from the back of a pickup and then my uncle would use his 30-06 and poof, no more Mr. Jack! Good luck.

Brings back some old memories. We use to run country roads and shoot them out of the back of a pick-up. Lots of fun. Can't do that stuff now days, you'll end up in jail.

22mag
Last time I shot a bunch I gave them to some local kids. Said they got a dollar apiece from a mink ranch. That was in the early 90s in SD. Something to look into.

Last edited:
When I lived in NM we only hunted cottontail rabbit AFTER the first good frost. Best rabbit I ever ate. The cottontails like to eat the bark from the "mesquite" bush. This bush puts out a pod that gets very sweet when it gets ripe. We would eat the heck out of it in the Summertime. Anyway, the rabbits eat the bark from this bush and I guess that's what makes them taste so good.

Thanks everyone.

I went bye the local pawnshop and he had a like new CZ-455 Varmint in 22 Mag with rings. It is much lighter than I thought it would be. I have a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 1.5-6x40mm that should be just about perfect for what I want to use it for.

Now I have to look for a 22 LR varmint barrel for it so my wife can shoot it in the off season.

Again thanks for the imput.

Back