Custom rifle taking too long

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI guess we're all assuming they are AR's of some type. The OP never has really said unless I missed it.

It is in his first post...

Guns should be ready for pick up tomorrow gonna try and get the thermals dialed in and try a stand. I will not mention any names or details of the rifles to give away builders info we were treated with respect through our whole process it just took longer than we were told at the beginning and I got nervous we all no what it’s like waiting on a rifle if they shoot and function up to snuff I would definitely recommend the builder to anyone as mentioned he treated us good and I’ll do the same in return. The original post was intended to see if anyone had any common experience or if that was typicall on custom built guns being as this was a lot of money for me and the first gun I’ve bought that wasn’t just a off the shelf rifle

Lots here had an experience with AR’s taking a long time and then not functioning. That builder is no longer allowed here. If it is him, good luck.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Lots here had an experience with AR’s taking a long time and then not functioning. That builder is no longer allowed here. If it is him, good luck.

I noticed Soecialized Dynamics posted a picture of a 22-250 with the caption "couple more 22-250s heading to their new home" on the same day the OP mentioned that they were shipping.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Lots here had an experience with AR’s taking a long time and then not functioning. That builder is no longer allowed here. If it is him, good luck.

Good riddance to SD. At least in 2010 maybe some of the BS Scott fed people was "justified" due to the availability of certain parts. In 2019, it's just BS!

48103654761_ca65462df0_b.jpg

Well as I mentioned before I’m not here to throw anyone under the bus. You all are correct they are sd rifles 22-250s I’ve read everything bad that’s been posted about Scott over the years and I was Leary as anyone would be. I then contacted some members on here and they had good luck so I rolled the dice. Guns are scoped up with the pulsars and dialed in heading out in a few minutes needed a little gas block adjustment with the suppressors and one of the smoothest ar rifles that I’ve ever shot and I own two other higher end ones. Say what you would like about him and his company are they perfect no but neither is half of the other stores but we all still shop there I was treated fair on price time frame was off but end result I got a custom ar rifle in the caliber that I wanted that not many other companies offer or adleast that I have found. And I would like to mention this thread was not to bash anyone it was simply asking if anyone has been in my shoes and how they handled it. I’m not sticking up for Scott’s past if I got screwed over I would be mad as well but that would be between me and him not the pm nation. I will keep this post updated with any good or bad things that becomes of the rifles until then happy hunting gonna try n get a summer dog

Unfortunately, missing deadlines on builds happen. Sometimes they are for legitimate reasons and can't be avoided, other times it's for BS reasons and customers are flat out lied to.

IMO, if a build deadline is going to be missed, it is up to the gunsmith/company to contact the customer and give a truthful reason. Even if the reason is one I don't care to hear, being honest about it is always better than some BS story.

I had a bolt gun build a few years back that I was told one year on. It took some heated discussions and three years to finally get my gun built. If that wasn't bad enough, after three years and finally getting the gun, it didn't function properly and required further work. As one could imagine, I never used that gunsmith again.

A one man shop can have a serious back log. I have been told that "couple of months" more than a few times on bolt gun builds.

I learned to order all my own parts and hand to the gunsmith, especially the reamer where I wanted a special freebore.

Waiting on a quality build can take time, and it is best to talk to the gunsmith and see what the problem is. If the guy is evasive in the answers, you are going to have to make a decision on whether or not to proceed in the build.

Yes got them running a few hiccups but nothing I can’t live with seem to be picky in ammo and run better suppressed for some reason got them ready to hunt but saw nothing will do a little more playing with them throughout the summer

I ordered a custom lightweight bolt gun a while back. Said I'd have it in three months, I had my hunt scheduled 10 months out at that point, so I figured that left plenty of time even if it was late. I received the gun 20 months after ordering it. I tried to cancel but I would lose my $1k deposit. Ive never shot the rifle and will sell it because of that experience, not just the waiting. I also sold a previous rifle he built as well bc of how I was treated...won't go into details.

Wow. Twenty months is a bit much. I've been spoiled. All my custom guns have been built by personal friends that just happen to be nationally known smiths.

Greg

I got spoiled to. If I furnished the parts, my smith could get a rifle built in 5-10 days. He passed away in April so those days of quick service are gone.

It says AR in the OP, and I ordered a "custom" upper from specialized dynamics was quoted 12 to 16 weeks but was told it would be more like 8. After 16 weeks no upper just excuses. Finally after asking for my money back all of the parts showed up the upper was slapped together (defeating the purpose of custom since I was under the impression custom meant better fit and finish) and I received an upper that did not look or shoot worth a dang and I could have just assembled myself for less $$$. If your mechanical savvy you can buy all the parts and assemble one yourself in no time at all. I've since put together some uppers and complete rifles and using good barrels they all shoot well under MOA. Hopefully your rifles show up and are what you wanted.

Back