Need new gun

^^ Ive actually had 2 CZ527 17Hornets...American and Varmint...both had feed issues, the American was terrible and wouldnt cycle...The Varmint rusted so badly after 1 foggy night hunt it was emabarassing...I did not like how the mag hangs down, nor the backwards safety...just too many NO's for me.

Sadly they were both accurate and I just loved the 17H caliber...If i could find that in a platform that functioned for me id be all over it.

I have considered a Ruger 77/17 but the price is astronomical and they dont seem to have great reviews.

Ive had some old classics, 760 pump 30-06, Model 12 .35 Rem pump, and the last was a Glenfield 30 Carbine 30-30.
I had a 1962 Sako L461 Vixen Varmint .222, i should have never let that go, but i never used it and refuaed to hunt with it
smirk.gif

I like the idea of a M1 Garand, i did have a K98 many years ago...always wanted a Garand...Does anyone have experience with CMP Garands? Or is there a better place to look?

I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy on 45/70 thats fun to shoot. Recoil is a little stout but its still fun to shoot. Might go that direction.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadIf I had no pistols whatsoever, I would very quickly own a 357 revolver and a 9mm compact semi auto, like a Glock 19 or S&W M&P 2.0C

Yep, good suggestions. I’ll add one more. A Ruger MK IV Lite .22. A hoot to shoot especially paired with a .22 suppressor. Impressively accurate right out of the box & one-push button takedown for cleaning.

CZ Scorpion Micro with a Franklin Armory BFS Binary Trigger. They are fun.

And a bolt action .22 of some sort...Tikka T1X or CZ 457 Pro Varmint.

I have to ask, about your Sako Vixen Varmint. Why would you never use it and REFUSED to hunt with it? I can't think of a better ground hog, PD, or predator calling rig.

BH8AGG.jpg

Love mine

Ive decided to put good glass on my 6.5, so funds are going for a new scope and rings.

I should have enough left for a Ruger PC Carbine.

The Sako L461 I had to me was too nice to take in the field, parts availability for it is next to nothing, and .222 Rem is not readily available here where i live.

I sold my friend my Savage Model 25 17 Hornet. Shoots factory ammo really well and didn't seem to have any feeding problems. I have a new Ruger 22 Hornet. The new ones have a screwed into the action barrel unlike the older ones that had the barrel clamp like the 10/22. It pretty accurate but like you said, a little pricey.

I realize you already decided, but the gap i see that i have filled is between your 10/22 and your ar. I have a marlin m25 .22 lr, and when it goes anywhere, so does my 93r17 .17 hmr. My favorite rifle is my howa .204 ruger, but when it goes out so does my hmr. If you decide in the future you still want a new rifle, i would go .17 hmr or wsm maybe. High velocity rimfire.

Back