Annual prairie dog safari

pdog2062

Well the ammo is all loaded and boxed up,the guns are sighted in and cleaned. The only thing left is the three week wait and hoping that the prairie dogs are there. I have been talking to my contacts in the Oklahoma panhandle and they tell me that a disease has hit our regular towns this year,but it has missed a few isolated towns.Hoping there is enough to make the trip worthwhile but any time in a town is better than at home.

As much rain as has been across the high plains region this year the grass is grown up pretty good. Makes the shooting a little more interesting just cause they are harder to see; but it also makes it a little harder for them to see as well.

Good luck.Every year, this of the the year, I wished I was heading West for p-dogs. Truly an enjoyable experience to see different sights.

Here's hoping for a very successful trip for you. If so that will a total thrill for you. Nothing better in my mind than a plethora of pasture poodles to shoot at. When you are in a target rich environment you will be in heaven. Shoot and shoot and shoot. What fun that is. I can hardly wait to go again. Best fun ever.

A couple of guys from the club went to the panhandle (I think). They were told to bring lots of ammo so they did. They only shot about 300 rounds out of a couple thousand they took. They said they didn't see many dogs. Hope your trip is better.

With the rain and all the grass has grown up so high it's hard to see them in a bunch of places. I've noticed some dog towns that used to have a bunch don't have many now. I think that has a lot to do with it too. They don't like places where they can't see what's going on around them so they move. I've seen them in places they didn't used to be not far from places they used to be on account of that. Me and a buddy went out a few weeks ago and killed a couple hundred a piece one day and at least one hundred more the next day in a smaller dog town. It don't take long and they get wise to what's going on so we try to hit them hard when we go. The better dog towns we shoot at nobody knows they're there. The dog towns right off the road get gun shy pretty quick.

Lots of guys poison them before they get a chance to get the plague so that could be some of it too. It doesn't take as long for them to move back into that area after they've been poisoned though. 4 or 5 years or so and 10 or better if they get the plague. I think that stuff stays in the ground or something and they know not to go back.

Last edited:
The plague is past by a flee.
They do stay in the colony a lone time after the Pdogs are all dead. 10 years is not uncommon here. Sometimes it never repopulates. They don't remember and they don't sense it, they just die if the try to return . Our towns, Pdogs, seam to be on a big upswingI find more dogs and more towns then I ever remember in 50 years. NICE!!!

Last edited:
Well we finished up our prairie dog safari today and were very disappointed.The dogs had disappeared from almost all our regular towns due to plague or diseases.Last year I shot 1400 rounds in 4 days,this year it was 100.But we had a good time visiting with family and friends so not a total loss.We have had a good run of 40 years so one bad year is not a disaster but the next few years will be a guess as to whether to try again or not.

Back