Carbon fouling from Hades - old school rules

Rimfires carbon foul. All firearms do. But I don't think you'll ever see one with the kind of cooked on, hard carbon fouling the first barrel in this thread showed.

- DAA

Rim fire priming compound has glass in it, and the glass erodes the throat in rim fire barrels. Lead is bad to build up in Rim fire barrels in high velocity ammo, and even more in hyper velocity. If you have a precision RF and want to keep it running at top accuracy, clean it every 250 rounds as per the guy that built the Rim Fire rifles for the Olympics.

On another note, I just got through cleaning a Bartlein 5 R chambered in 308 Win, 31" barrel that was solid black from front to back. The gunsmith said that the New to F class shooter ruined it in 400-500 rounds from a lack of proper cleaning. I paid the gunsmith $150 for the barrel, and this is the third one I have bought from him like this. I worked on it for 6 weeks to get it down to bare metal, plugging the barrel with a cork an and filling the barrel with Free All penetrating oil with three day, one week, and two week soakings followed by brushing.

The gunsmith put a new barrel on the rifle of a different make on for the shooter, like it was the barrel's fault it had not been cleaned, at a cost of around $600 or more...the customer is always right.

Some lessons in life come very expensive, when you are hard headed about cleaning, it is like giving the pin number to your teen age daughter on your savings account!

Last edited:
A diamond is a crystal of pure carbon, so heat and pressure
of the earth on pure carbon produces a natural diamond?

So what we do when we fire our rifles is, we lay down a (non
pure) carbon layer in the barrel. We then fire another bullet
with heat and pressure, the bullet ironing the carbon to the barrels
wall. We keep repeating this through out the day, sometimes not
cleaning for a few outings.

Kinda like trying to make a Cubic Zirconia (fake diamond) half
way down the barrel. Thank goodness we are mixing in some cooper
with non pure carbon so we can manually remove it from our barrels.

More than likely I do not know what I'm talking about, but it sure
seems like I'm trying to remove a diamond like coating out of my
barrels sometimes.

Just a brief epilogue on this.

Finally shot the rifle again a couple of weeks ago. Groups in the 5's. Decent improvement, but still only adequate, the gilt edge is long gone. And it copper fouled like a SOB, too.

Picked off a few chucks with it this weekend. It will still send them into orbit and connecting is still easy out to about 300. But connecting at 400 is not as easy as it used to be. I just limited myself to about 350.

20190621_Chucks-4.jpg

20190621_Chucks-8.jpg

If I was flush with cash I'd rotate this barrel to tomato stake duty, but, I'm not flush with cash. I'll nurse it along for awhile longer I guess.

- DAA

Back