Need new gun

greengt88

Help me spend my $$ on a new gun(s). Ive had a ton of things over the years and have thinned it down to what i actually use or hunt with, and now i feel its time to add something new...

Currently have:

Custom Rem 700 6.5 Creedmoor chassis rifle
Custom AR-15 .223Rem
Custom Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 935 12ga 28"

I archery hunt deer, no need for a deer rifle/caliber. So kinda stuck on what to get. Any ideas appreciated.

Buy a classic Remington auto or pump rifle in 30-06, find one made in the 1960s.
Own part of History, Pennsylvania machine gun. It will always keep its value.
Find a new in the box one if you can. Fine guns are an investment.

If your needs are met, I like the idea of a classic. M1 Garand, Rem Mod 8, or a nice old lever gun would top my list. M1 carbine or an old double barrel would be good collectors.

As you can see I like a lot of totally different stuff.

I would say either a 204 or 22-250. Maybe in the Varmint configuration.

I dug out an older Rem 700 204 Ruger VLS from the back of the safe and shot it yesterday. Really fun shooting rifle and very accurate, especially for a factory rifle.

Or you might look into a nice mil-surp, like a K98 Mauser or 6.5 Swede Mauser.

I think that another varmint cal is redundant, i can do everything i need with .223 or 6.5....Ive had a 30-30 lever, and deer rifles...i think i need something just fun...Ruger PCC, CZ Scorpion maybe...i considered a 450 Bushmaster Upper for my AR also.

Looks like you have everything covered BUT they are all modern cookie cutter stamped out parts guns. I say get something that actually has some soul to it. Wood and steel that actually had someone take some pride in when it went out the door.

An old Mannlicher/Schoenauer or Sako full stock rifle.

KSCNXZ.jpg

A combination set rifle/shotgun, shotgun/shotgun a travel rig that will cover just about any situation you will encounter around the country, big game, small game, trap, skeet, sporting clays and even coyote hunting.

XG9jHC.jpg

Or a fine(note fine) sxs that comes alive in your hands.

UpN2qD.jpg

Or a little of both. With claw mounts can go from a rifle to a nice sxs with a push of a button.

E8VvYt.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greengt88i considered a 450 Bushmaster Upper for my AR also.

a big bore ar upper is a lot of fun, and with all the rule changes happening in restricted hunting caliber states... the 450 bushmaster has a LOT of factory support right now, with more folks entering the market fairly regularly with offerings to mess with.

if you're a reloader - its surprisingly easy to get one of these to shoot on the cheap too. 225gr ftx are a great cheap plinker - especailly if you can find blems for about 20 cents or less. my current cost per right now is just under $0.40 a squeeze - and even if you buy them at retail, you can still reload them around $0.5x per squeeze.

Maybe give a CZ 527 17 Hornet a go.

There's quite a few of us here that have one and they all seem to shoot extremely well. They don't cost much to shoot, have next to no recoil and aren't all that loud. You can shoot them just about all day and they're just a really fun little gun to shoot.

Back