New reloader needs powder suggestions

Tika58

Looking for some solid advice. I have a 25-06 and 270 win, looking to reload for. My main question is what common, reliable powders would be suitable for either? Any suggestions would be great!

It’ll most likely depend on what weight of bullets you will want to load for. Get yourself a couple reloading manuals or simply get online to the manufacturer’s (bullets or powder) websites. Some of them have their info free online.
Alliant’s website has a nice feature where you can select the powder and it will tell what cartridges / bullet weights that it’s good for.

Reloader 22 and H4831 will probably work fine for both. I have a couple 25-06's and I use
Reloader 22
Reloader 17
H4831
Varget

Bullet weight will be important to know also.

25-06, if you can find some old stock AA3100. Discontinued some years back, speed and accuracy with a Hornady bullet. Some vendors told me it was the same thing as xyz powder, not in my rifle.

270, my first center fire rifle cartridge. I was force fed the kool aid of 4831 and a 130 grain bullet for years. Yes it “worked” though it always left me thinking it was capable of better. Reloader 26 entered the picture a short time back. I went with a 150SST and worked my way to a book max(different 150 in their data). I ran over the top a half grain or so, no pressure signs but no speed gains either.
Some have said R26 gets spikey. I tinkered with my loads in summer winter and fall with zero issues. YMMV. Mine now thinks it is a mid range 7 mag.

I use to use IMR 4350 & 4831 in my 25-06. I would probably try a extreme powder if I still owned the .25.. Nosler reloading guide recomendations (IME) has always been spot on for performance & accuracy.

I have heard of people using retumbo in the 25-06. In my 270 I’m playing with rl26 have had some loads with h4831sc but they were slow with 150s. I think for my 270 now I’m going to try some 130s or lighter. H4350, h4831, rl23 might be some good ones to try.

I see a commonality of h4831.

When asked about shooting a bullet heavier than 130gr in the 270, jack o’connor replied “why tie it’s legs together”?

Back