.22 cal ELD-X

emptymag

Would you buy, shoot and hunt with a .22 cal ELD-X bullet if it performed like the bigger bullets?

What grain would be ideal?

I'd say around 69gr to work in the 223. Heavier say, 77-80gr for 22-250 and so on?

Maybe there lies the problem, bullet performance across the broad spectrum of MV and twist rates of the .22cal?

Be a while before I know, as sitting on a pile of 75 gr A-MAX. They have been good to me via 223AI @ 3000 fps. Would expect no less from the ELD....

Originally Posted By: emptymagWould you buy, shoot and hunt with a .22 cal ELD-X bullet if it performed like the bigger bullets?

What grain would be ideal?

I'd say around 69gr to work in the 223. Heavier say, 77-80gr for 22-250 and so on?

Maybe there lies the problem, bullet performance across the broad spectrum of MV and twist rates of the .22cal?

my 20" 1:7 twist loves heavies... so id love a controlled expansion, tipped hunting bullet in 69-75gr weight for the 223.... that'd be fantastic - but only if was in a profile that allowed it to be seated to standard 2.250 mag length.

if its going to be a hunting bullet - and seeing as most hunting rifles are multi-shot magazine fed (both internal and external) - the bullet design must take that into consideration.

Speer Gold Dots have an excellent reputation. I have never tried them though.

SPEER

Another small list of heavy for caliber hunting bullets

Barnes TSX
Nosler Accubond
Hornady GMX

I like the Barnes TSX in 62gr and 70gr.

I have not tried or heard much of anything on the others though.

An ELD-X would be awesome!

Though i think the BC advantage over other more conventional type bullets does not do it all that much justice as i normally only shoot .223 REM out to around 150 yards or so when hunting.

Doesn't Nosler have a new 70gr 22Cal AccuBond? I'd think that would be one of the better 22 Caliber hunting bullets available.

What are you hunting? SO far, I have killed two deer, over a dozen coyotes, and a sack full of pigs with the 69gr TMK at about 3500fps, and I have not a complaint one.

Last edited:
Back