Current 17 caliber bullet makers

Marky mark

Can you guys tell me who is actually still making bullets in 2019? I’ve read the saubier page but it appears most if not all of the custom makers are no longer in production.
I think reeds ammo is still producing but everything is out of stock so I guess it’s a waiting game for him. I also think black hole bullets is still in production but I’m looking for a boat tail or tipped bullet. In a perfect world I’d get both but so far it’s a no. I made a post on the nosler forums to try and stir up some interest in a 17 caliber ballistic tip but it looks like 17 caliber shooters are still a vocal minority in 2019. I wish a manufacturer would make just ONE tipped boat tail in either 25 or 30 grains. Hornady could literally just add a boat tail to the 25 grain vmax and call it a day. It would not be hard nor expensive. I’d love to roll my own since I have a Corbin press but I don’t have several grand to drop on dies. Maybe we should petition Berger to bring back the 30 grain hpbt? I should never have purchased that cz 17 rem because now all I can think about is 17 caliber.

LOL! Sorry to laugh but that's all I've been able to think about since purchasing a CZ 527 Varmint as well.

I bought a couple hundred 32gr Reed's Rebated boat tails. they have a spire point, not a BT.

I think that the reason there aren't boat tails is because much past 400 yds, the boat tail really doesn't have a ballistic advantage. Most 17's aren't going to shoot beyond that, but those who shoot it know that a heavy bullet is more than capable of doing so. My 32gr Reeds has a BC of .302 and shoots around 3600 fps. As a comparison, my 22-250 AI shoots a 62gr Barnes TTSX with a BC of .294 at about the same speed. So technically that .17 Rem load is ballistically superior and I've had a lot of people say that my AI with the right load is a 1000 yd rifle. Now I don't know about that, but 800 for sure.

So back to your question. I don't know if any individual manufacturer has the capability of producing a BT on their bullets. Chan Nagal (spelling?) is a guy who produces great bullets. I haven't used them but apparently his 30's are a coyotes nightmare. Ive also heard Kindler Gold's are really good as well, but I don't think they make them anymore. Stark bullets is another company I've heard of, but don't know much about.

I wish I could help more, but I'm not sure where to tell you to look. However I do feel that if a Ballistic Tip Boat Tail was ever made it'd be from Hornady or Nosler. Berger has never made a Ballistic Tip for any of thier caliber that I now of and sierra doesn't even produce 17 caliber. Hornady quit making their 25gr HP's which made me cry because they are awesome and accurate and the best coyote bullet on the market.

Anyway, I feel you pain, brother, but don't give up on an amazing and over looked caliber.

Originally Posted By: AcroninIve also heard Kindler Gold's are really good as well, but I don't think they make them anymore. Stark bullets is another company I've heard of, but don't know much about.

Todd Kindler stopped making them at least four or five years ago, maybe longer? I did some testing for him when he was first getting going with the Golds, but that was so long ago I don't remember how long ago it was, ha-ha! His dies have changed hands at least twice. The guy who has them now was making bullets on them for awhile, but I hear he's not at this time. I haven't talked to him myself in quite some time. I don't know if he even has any of the jackets for the 30s left or not.

My friend Clint Starke got out of the bullet making business a long time ago. At least, ten years ago? Maybe closer to fifteen? Long time, anyway. I used to do a lot of pre-production and prototype bullet testing for him. He gifted me thousands of his 25 gr. bullets after he sold his dies. I'm almost out of them though.

Chan Nagel ended up with Clint's dies. And Chan makes a very fine bullet, when he is able. He makes a better bullet than Clint did, in my opinion. Chan put some features on his bullets I was always asking Clint to do but he never would. Things like that really tight meplat. Which, Clint explained, slowed production. But Chan makes them like that anyway and I like them
laugh.gif

The problem all custom makers have with 30s, is jackets. J4 quit making the long .17 jackets some time back - when Berger quit doing 30s. I'm pretty sure that is why Todd K. decided to get out of the business. J4 jackets are the secret sauce to a truly excellent .17 caliber bullet.

Chan makes his own long jackets for his 30 gr. He does a darn fine job. But from what I think I understand, materials are expensive and it's a time consuming, labor intensive process to make them to such high standards in such small quantities. His 30s should cost a lot more than they do. But, he doesn't have them very often, either.

J4 will still do a run of long jackets, and Berger will still do a run of 30s. Just have to meet the minimum order. The guys on Saubier did one a few years ago. Can't remember whether they had to order 100k or 250k?

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: AcroninIve also heard Kindler Gold's are really good as well, but I don't think they make them anymore. Stark bullets is another company I've heard of, but don't know much about.

Todd Kindler stopped making them at least four or five years ago, maybe longer? I did some testing for him when he was first getting going with the Golds, but that was so long ago I don't remember how long ago it was, ha-ha! His dies have changed hands at least twice. The guy who has them now was making bullets on them for awhile, but I hear he's not at this time. I haven't talked to him myself in quite some time. I don't know if he even has any of the jackets for the 30s left or not.

My friend Clint Starke got out of the bullet making business a long time ago. At least, ten years ago? Maybe closer to fifteen? Long time, anyway. I used to do a lot of pre-production and prototype bullet testing for him. He gifted me thousands of his 25 gr. bullets after he sold his dies. I'm almost out of them though.

Chan Nagel ended up with Clint's dies. And Chan makes a very fine bullet, when he is able. He makes a better bullet than Clint did, in my opinion. Chan put some features on his bullets I was always asking Clint to do but he never would. Things like that really tight meplat. Which, Clint explained, slowed production. But Chan makes them like that anyway and I like them
laugh.gif

The problem all custom makers have with 30s, is jackets. J4 quit making the long .17 jackets some time back - when Berger quit doing 30s. I'm pretty sure that is why Todd K. decided to get out of the business. J4 jackets are the secret sauce to a truly excellent .17 caliber bullet.

Chan makes his own long jackets for his 30 gr. He does a darn fine job. But from what I think I understand, materials are expensive and it's a time consuming, labor intensive process to make them to such high standards in such small quantities. His 30s should cost a lot more than they do. But, he doesn't have them very often, either.

J4 will still do a run of long jackets, and Berger will still do a run of 30s. Just have to meet the minimum order. The guys on Saubier did one a few years ago. Can't remember whether they had to order 100k or 250k?

- DAA

what differences in coyote killing have you seen with tighter or more open meplate's ? its been a long long time since I tried using any HP bullets on a coyote and that was when I tried 50 grain bergers but in 22 caliber.(22-250 speeds) I saw pretty inconsistent performance with them. have a box of 250 JLK 52's gathering dust which shoot amazing and they have quite a bit tighter meplate than the bergers. never killed a coyote with one though.

Last edited:
In the .17's, I very much prefer the tight meplat. That was the only difference between the old Berger Match and MEF, and the Match performed much better on coyote. That's still what I use in my Mach IV for coyote, the old Berger Match 25. I don't have too many of them left though.

- DAA

Add on... Clint's 25s are like the old Berger MEF, Chan's 25s (and 30s) are like the old Match. Chan's kill better than Clint's.

- DAA

I killed a lot of coyotes with 17 Rem's and 17 Mach IV with Berger match bullet with the tight HP, would not ever think of using a MEF type 17 bullet.

if you ever see any Rem 25g HP, buy them all, they are great coyote bullets but have been gone for quite some time...estate sales will be the best sources.

If a guy loves his 17's, he should buy 5000 of the 30g on a special order from Berger group buy.

I looked into doing a group buy from Berger for the 30's , some years back. The min order was large and I did not have the cash to cover it. Not to mention the time it would take to make it all happen.

I have 200 ish Bergers and 600 Kidler golds left. Thinking my barrel should be about toast when they are gone. New barrel in a diff flavor will follow....

Anyone here tried the Lehigh defense bullets on yotes? Seems like they would do a decent job being solids and what not. I also looked at hammer bullets they have a 21 grain solid copper slug that looks great but it’s $50 for 100. I could buy a lot of other bullets for that money. Right now my main coyote bullet is the 25 grain Berger varmint bullet which from what I hear isn’t ideal. Figured solid copper/brass offerings would be a good place to look for a replacement.

Last edited:
I think I picked up about 1000 extra Berger 25gr Match and Hornady HP's mixed.

I think I have enough 30gr bullets to last my 17-204

I used to have a 17 rem 700 and sold it to a friend. Been thinking about buying it back but is there an actual shortage of 17 cal bullets?Also I'm thinking of retiring from drywall finishing after 40 some years after my dr. said I'm real close to having copd from all the dust. Would making bullets be something a guy could do as a retirement gig? What's the potential hourly rate and is their demand. The Corbin site makes a person think so. I've been reloading since the late 70's doesn't seem like it would be to hard with the right equipment.Shooting a 17 after shooting 22 and 24 cals was like shooting a pellet gun if you had good muffs on, lots of fun.

I doubt you would want to know what the hourly rate would pay. Oh sure you could charge it, but would it sell?
A niche market for sure, but good quality 17’s and 20’s would sell. You might want to research what source you can find for jackets. That seems to be the biggest hurdle.
30 grain 17’s and 50-55 grain 20’s have a fair following.
Now just get the check book out and your set.
I have pretty much everything to make my own .224’s. But I keep finding them cheaper than I can do it myself.

The fellow with Todd's dies posted on Saubier a few days ago that he's got dies on order to start making his own jackets for the 30s. Hopefully, he can make an excellent jacket. Bullet is only as accurate as the concentricity of the jacket will let it be.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAA Bullet is only as accurate as the concentricity of the jacket will let it be.

- DAA

I work in a tool room that makes dies for stamping presses that have to hold 50 millionths tolerance, thats .00005".

Ive always wondered about getting into some kinda firearm/bullet business but, see my quote above this post...

Originally Posted By: emptymagOriginally Posted By: DAA Bullet is only as accurate as the concentricity of the jacket will let it be.

- DAA

I work in a tool room that makes dies for stamping presses that have to hold 50 millionths tolerance, thats .00005".

Ive always wondered about getting into some kinda firearm/bullet business but, see my quote above this post...

That should be close enough I would guess.......

Back